Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby Solar@wind » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello W7 Inverter fiddlers,,

My W7 Powerstar has the DB type remote connector between the battery terminals.

Being a DB 9 would anyone possibly know the matching color code of the RJ connector "pinouts" .

There are only 3 wires ,, but I don,t want to cause any damage if I connect those 3 wires incorrectly.(maybe nothing would happen ,,but I,m erring on the safe side)

please have a look if you have the schematic or post it on here --I actually think it,s on here, but I,ve looked through many posts and can,t find it ,but many years ago , I,m sure it was posted on this topic link?

Thanks

Bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Jimbo007 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Today I went shopping in the local electronics market in China for IRFB4110's.
The first vendor wanted $3 AUD each. The next and successful vendor asked 40 cents Australian each.
I bought 100.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Solar@wind » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:10 am

Hi W7 fiddlers,

any hope of some info on my "remote controller wiring --I don,t want any unexpected smoke coming from the pcb.you can call me on 0427 747 748 if thats more convenient,thanks

Thanks in advance

bruce
Solar@wind
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby peteralan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm

My W7 Powerstar has the DB type remote connector between the battery terminals.

Being a DB 9 would anyone possibly know the matching color code of the RJ connector "pinouts" .

There are only 3 wires ,, but I don,t want to cause any damage if I connect those 3 wires incorrectly.(maybe nothing would happen ,,but I,m erring on the safe side)
peteralan
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Yunak » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 pm

peteralan wrote:My W7 Powerstar has the DB type remote connector between the battery terminals.

On my inverter The three wires in the toggle switch are yellow = normal inverter mode, Red = common and black = power saver mode.
The pinouts on the rj connector plug looking from above are : pin 4 normal mode green, pin 5 common yellow and pin 6 power saver mode this is the most far right pin blue.
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Yunak » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Jimbo007 wrote:Yunak,
I agree 100% with Graham.
Just replace both boards and be done with it.
you will be back in operation without potential further problems or brown pants moments.
cheers,
Jim.

Jimbo, some months have passed and after trying obtain a control board the same as my existing one I finished up with two similar but not the same board. The first to arrive did not have the row of coloured LEDs and I did not test it the replacement turned up a month later with the row of LEDs but although the correct LED lit up to show the inverter was in Power saver mode the load was not swtched on. Both these boards appear to be for a later model PSW7 as they have three extra sockets, circled yellow on the attached image. The chinese supplier asked what I had the dipswitch set to 3 sec or 30 sec. I explained my model did not have the dipswitch but was hard wired at 30 seconds and that possibly one of the three extra sockets was to connect to the dipswitch. I asked could their technician advise as to which of these three sockets was to connect the dipswitch and which pins could I hard wire to save trying to obtain the correct (my style) board. The seller replied that their technician had "gone to Africa for a holiday and they did not know when he would be back" He must have fallen foul to a lion as communication with the seller has stopped.
If I am correct with my assumption and if you or any of the forum members have the PSW7 inverter of the dipswitch model with those three sockets, can you advise me which socket is the one that the dipswitch connects to and what pin is for what purpose. Thank you
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Yunak » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:13 am

P9040013.JPG
View of control board showing sockets circled
P9040013.JPG (41.17 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

The image that was meant to have been attached in my previous posting I suspect the socket to be the one in the bottom right hand corner.
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby sulphur1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 am

Hi Yunak
Did you get the board from Sumry?
sulphur1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Yunak » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 am

No the seller was powerseleca-7, but according to the invoices, she(?) sourced the boards from two different suppliers, neither had websites that I could find.
Yunak
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Jimbo007 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 am

Hi Yunak,
Sorry for the long absence. The board you show is completely different to the ones I bought from Sunray. I don't understand what you're talking about when you refer to 3 seconds / 30 seconds. There is nothing like this that I'm aware of on the board sets I purchased.
Lookng at the photo of your board, it would seem that that supplier has sent there technician on purpose to be eaten by the lions as you suggest. lol
The board sets I purchased work faultlessly and have the selector switch for battery type attached. There are connectors in the upper left for thermistor and tacho fan, as well as parallel connector for on/off/power save switch.
Since August, I've hauled 410 Kw/h through the inverter I built using their board set and it hasn't missed a beat. You could perhaps send me a PM with a picture of both your new and your original control cards.
I'll try to see what's going on though I can't promise anything as the one you've posted is clearly different.
Jimbo007
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance