Battery Wiring

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Battery Wiring

Postby Cherokee Solar » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:04 am

Hi Harry,

A bit of further info on how you are wiring up those 24 x 250W panels would help with any advice.

Like: How many are wired in parallel, how many in series?

For example if you wired up the 24 panels with 2 each in series (doubling the voltage but keeping the Amps the same at 8.6A) then 12 lots of that arrangement could produce (12 x 8.6A) = 103.2A which would require some pretty heavy duty cable.

So are you going to run two or even three lots of that sort of arrangement to your MPPT controllers?

Cheers.

Chris
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Battery Wiring

Postby harry201 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Chris,

OK I'll explain the best I can as I'm no boffin.
This way it was suggested to us when we started 3 years ago to set up and what they sold us.

250w x 3 in 1 sting parrell = 750 w /24v/26a
Connected via 6mm wire into a 24a fuse (which i 'be changed to 32 as it keep flicking off)

Now I have 4 stings on the roof down to fuse box 32a each string, 3 string to 1 bus bar (150a) from their to 100a circuit breaker using 16mm2 wire into 1 x 100a controller mppt, from their to 300a bus bar to the batteries and back to inverter via 300a bus bar using 95mm2 wire.

Hope this makes since

Cheers
Harry
harry201
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics