scorch mark and shattered glass panel

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

scorch mark and shattered glass panel

Postby gerardw » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi guys just after some advice on a damaged panel I discovered recently when cleaning them
I have a grid connect 5kW system consisting of 2 rows of 13 190W panels feeding an SMA 5000 sunny boy inverter
The damaged panel has a brown scorch mark in it and all the glass is cracked in a crazed pattern
I have noted a reduction in output from the bottom row which contains the damaged panel eg 180V/9A versus 190V/10A from the top row at the same time
If the panel is completely dead would this be expected or is it still outputing something ? Also what is the likely cause ? The panel is about 4 years old ? could it be covered under warranty and will leaving it be a possible fire risk?
Cheers Gerard
gerardw
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: scorch mark and shattered glass panel

Postby station240 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Lets do the maths...
13 panels per string,
190V string voltage = average panel voltage 14.61V

You've lost 10V in the string with the damaged panel, so yes it's almost dead. Also current doesn't add in series, so it's also reducing the output of the other panels by 10%.

You'd need someone to look at it in person to determine the cause, or at least photos. Have them bypass or remove the faulty panel at that time.

Sure 4V @ 1amp isn't a fire risk, but it could short to the frame.
station240
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby lantern » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:01 am

At 4 years it should certainly be covered by warranty. Get the installers back.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:58 am

If it was hit and damaged by, for example, a hailstone, then it probably wont be covered by warranty, but insurance may cover it.
A photo would be good! :)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gerardw » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks for replies, I have managed to get a pic. at last. Looks like I will have to chase up the installers and see what they say.
Cheers Gerard
sp2.jpg
panel pic
sp2.jpg (39.67 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
gerardw
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics