how do i get the most out of this

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

how do i get the most out of this

Postby cayke » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:05 am

first off let me say all this stuff is new but handed down once a family member decided to go big instead of dabbling with his solar. all i want to know is how is the best way to wire this up ...inverters are 12v and going to stay that way for a while i just wasn't sure about the panels ..to go series or parallel

i have 2x250w panels
voc 37.2
isc 8.61

40ft run of awg10 wire

tracer mppt 4210 40amp
500w@12v
1000w@24
100v max

4x 6v wired with 2/0 wire as 410h @ 12v

2x 300w inverters 12v

i know the mppt will make the best of whatever goes into it within its limits but is there any advantage here to putting the panels in series or parallel?

any other things i should no ...other than the go 24v suggestion...im saveing for a big grid tie system this was free throwing money at is not an option ..wife said so ! i don't have any "needs" to get out of this ill simply run whatever outdoor lights it can handle and that will be that

thanks
cayke
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: how do i get the most out of this

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:16 am

I do hope that no one trys to suggest buying a used PVE1200 inverter and. :idea: just connect the two panels in series and let it go to town.. :o. Please don't consider that..

With the batteries in series and thus the 24v you would use the panels in series, and with 12v you would use panels in parallel..

You could install perimeter down lights in the eves and run them as security lights.... you could run a small fridge but we would need to work on the maths..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:19 am

PS.. where do you live... the amount of sun could affect choices..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby cayke » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 am

I live in Tennessee I have a clear shot of the sky and it has a pole mounted tracker so I should do decent in regards to the sun ...I had heard differing opinions on putting the panels in series vs parallel with this set up and I wasn't sure it was really going to matter but wanted some experienced opinions
cayke
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:57 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Cayke :)
With a 40ft run, you are better off connecting the panels in series, to reduce losses due to wire resistance. The MPPT controller will be slightly less efficienct with the larger voltage step-down, but I think that should be compensated for by the reduced losses in the wire. 8A vs 16A means one quarter the power loss.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:36 pm

OK.. so your from over there... :-)

Consider that you have 500W potential (more likely 400 available)
What power would you use every minute of the day.. would 400W get lost.. I suspect so...

So if you could get a suitable grid inverter, you could just use that power yourself and forget the constant inefficiencies of charging and discharging batteries... and you could have the best of both worlds by using the batteries that you already have, to store power and float them for an emergency lighting supply during Jade Helm.. :o
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby cayke » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 pm

LoL Obamas Jade helm better watch themselves playing with guns in Texas. Those Texans may decide to say show me yours and ill show you mine !!

As for the grid tie that's my intention but when I do it im going to try go big ..hoping to build a new house in a couple years when the daughter is done with nursing school . going to downsize the home and get as independent as possible....
But this system just kind of dropped into my lap so I figured its a good time to learn a bit more first hand ...I had heard some people saying parallel panels would be best for this for higher amps in.....others say series to save on wire ..but wire is already bought and its my understanding MPPT will reorganize everything coming in, so I just need to know what someone who really knows this stuff would do with it if it was them setting it up and there wife said NO your not buying anything else for that I'm saving for my new house!
cayke
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:30 am

AWG10 is only 5.26mm^2, so even if you run them in series there will be noticeable losses, but parallel will lose 4 time as much.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics