Offgrid solar lights

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Offgrid solar lights

Postby Tarkin12 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Hello everyone,
New here and only recently getting my head around everything solar so I appreciate everyone's input regarding the following.

How efficient would the following system be?
*I know efficiency depends on so many variables but lets assume all the hardware is good quality and the solar conditions are above average ie Australia

2.6kW input from solar panels (8 x 325W panels)
8 x 12V 265Ah batteries
Load: 4 x 150W Led lights

- Expecting the load to be in operation for minimum of 10 to 14 hours each night
- 365 days operation
- This is an off grid system with 'potential' to be supported by AC charging in the future

The things I am interested to know are:
- How do I work out if that configuration will be suitable to run those lights?
- How to work out battery charging times? best and worst case scenarios.
- Will that configuration still work and produce enough output through the winter period? (lets assume above average winter solar conditions)
- How do I work out what the maximum wattage LED lamps could be sustained using that system?
- Does it help to have the panel bracket angle adjustable for winter months? Does this matter and make enough difference?
- What are other critical hardware components to ensure I am getting the maximum efficiency all round? (panels, batteries and lamp quality are a given)

Interested to know what the equations are for some of these questions and also 'solar for dummies' speak would be helpful too ;-)
Let me know what other info I am missing here and thanks in advance.

Regards
Tony
Tarkin12
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Offgrid solar lights

Postby lantern » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 am

Unless you are planning on a 96V battery bank then you need to read and understand this.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:47 am

You will need a charge controller and a big one for 2.6kw of panels

What is the operating voltage of the lights ?
Need a link and/or specs
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:53 am

Tarkin12 wrote:the solar conditions are above average ie Australia

I'm really not sure what you mean by that- each location has its own annual average daily solar radiation, which varies according to season, and varies even more so from day to day due to the weather.
Without specifying a location, plus any local effects such as shading etc, no meaningful answer can be given.

>>Load: 4 x 150W Led lights

What voltage? Using DC directly instead of an inverter with its associated required 2 extra conversions will be more efficient.

Expecting the load to be in operation for minimum of 10 to 14 hours each night

Growing something indoors?

If you want to store a serious amount of energy, it is best to avoid 12V batteries, which maximise the chances of a problem.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics