Cleaning Solar Panels.

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Cleaning Solar Panels.

Postby Sundance » Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 am

According to Gordon, it may be a good idea, but may have to add an anti mossing agent to the water supply!! :idea:
Sundance
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun May 18, 2014 8:30 am

You also need access to a large cheap water supply. I have done water cooling tests and it certainly increases output in warm to hot weather, but I only have rainwater from the roof, so my water is more valuable than a few extra watts PV output that I don't need in sunny weather anyway!
I don't think it is a good use of an urban water supply either, but if you collect water on your roof and have an excess that would normally just go down the stormwater drain, that would be a good use for it. Just make sure your pump doesn't use more energy than you gain from the cooler panels ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Kompulsa » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:34 am

I just rinse mine off. Dust never affected its performance though. I just wanted it to look its best. :)

Proactively rinsing from time to time will help prevent the buildup of difficult-to-remove gunk.
Clean energy is the future, empower yourself with knowledge at http://www.kompulsa.com.
Kompulsa
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Sundance wrote:...Well, if that is truly the case then maybe a solar powered water fountain pump spraying a fine mist of water over the panels with a solar powered fan unit to assist in cooling. And, no need to ever clean!!!!

Folk on here have set up circulatory systems... Mist Sprayers, and collect the water and reuse...

It is clearly beneficial, and the energy harvested, far outweighs the power to run the pump/s... :D
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics