Sub Floor Ventilation Alternatives

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Sub Floor Ventilation Alternatives

Postby nicholassolar » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 am

HI,

I'm looking for some sub floor recommendations for my new home.

I'm looking to ventilate my home very well so we don't need to worry about any mould or midew in the future. I'm just struggling to find which products there are out there and if anyone has had any experience with them?

I'm assuming that the best products move the most air but I can't seem to find which products are the most productive in terms of air flow?
nicholassolar
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Sub Floor Ventilation Alternatives

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:30 am

Hi Nicholas,

I'm assuming that your house was built on stumps?

The house is on stumps here. The sub floor area is enclosed by a 90 minute fire rated wall system, so not much air can get under the floor. The lowest bit of timber (all treated pine) is about 0.5m from the soil so there is plenty of air under there.

I added some heavy duty stainless steel mesh vents so that air can circulate freely under the floor.

Directly under the floorboards I've hung R3.5 glass wool batts so the house and floor itself is toasty warm over winter and cool over summer.

You kind of have to reduce moisture build up under a floor because, damp timber will eventually attract termites. Although this also depends on where you live.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby nicholassolar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 am

Yep you're correct.

I was more along the lines of thinking about a fan I may need to circulate the air from one side of the sub floor to the other.

And you're right on the money with the termites! Don't want any damp timber. :?
nicholassolar
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 pm

nicholassolar wrote: thinking about a fan

Fair enough. I've worked on brick terrace houses built about 1890 in Melbourne and as long as venting is adequate and there is plenty of crawl space under the timber (not always an easy thing to ensure) the sub floor timber is usually pretty dry. Sometimes the old timers used to back fill under the floor with any old clay that was hanging around when they constructed the houses. What a pain.

If it is at all damp, I've generally expanded the vents and/or ripped up the floor and jack hammered out some clay (which can be sometimes harder than concrete).

Fans can end up failing or getting clogged up with spider webs so it is just my opinion that it is always safer to have a system that relies on natural air flow. Having said that fans are a good idea if you can't increase the natural airflow. The air doesn't need to be flowing much under the floor.

Are you in a tropical location as that may have a big impact?
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Graeme.Ambrose » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 am

Look up a company called solar venti.
They may have a system that you can adapt.
Also look into putting sealable vents in your ceiling and floor.
In summer open them up to vent hot air out of the room and drag cool air from under the house.
In winter just seal them to keep the heat in.
It is called "stack ventilation"
Graeme.Ambrose
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby nicholassolar » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 am

Thank you for the information guys.

I don't have much opportunity to increase natural air flow Cherokee Solar so that's why I'm looking at the idea of fans/

I'll have a look at that company Graeme, I cane across this too which might offer a few different alternatives too.

http://www.roofventilationblog.com.au/sub-floor-ventilation-chart/323/
nicholassolar
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green