Summer Electricity price rises

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Summer Electricity price rises

Postby moemoke » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:16 am

I just heard on the news that electricity producers are thinking of changing the rates they charge for electricity during summer, up to 42 cents/ kwh :roll: .

So there goes pretty much all of our Feed in Tariff, if you're lucky enough to be getting 60c/kwh.

Although they said that at other times the rate could be reduced to 8c/kwh.
They didn't say when the price will rise but I think this will probably happen when the Smart Meters are introduced as they have the ability to have 'time of use' metering, what ever that is.
moemoke
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Re: Summer Electricity price rises

Postby Tracker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 am

moemoke wrote:thinking of changing the rates they charge for electricity during summer

I wonder for how long THEIR summer will continue.. Like all temporary taxes??

moemoke wrote:they have the ability to have 'time of use' metering, what ever that is

They have already designated the times for Off-Peak, Shoulder and Peak.

The meters are CLOCK controlled and thus record the power consumed during each interval, and we get charged accordingly.
Although they said that at other times the rate could be reduced to 8c/kwh.

COULD - I wonder if that is a warning in itself. WOULD, was the previous term used.

Don't you love it how these rumors start and then magically become FACT.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby BarKing » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:21 pm

moemoke wrote:I just heard on the news that electricity producers are thinking of changing the rates they charge for electricity during summer, up to 42 cents/ kwh.

I heard that news story too.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/electricity-bills-could-soar-more-than-four-fold-in-four-years-as-sp-ausnet-seeks-increased-charges/story-e6frf7jo-1225821795860

But it doesn't quite add up to me. Their is nothing on the SP Ausnet website. And who now currently pays 8 c/kwh for peak electricity? Certainly not me - I pay over 20 c/kwh. 8 c/kwh sounds more like a rate that is paid by a large electricity user i.e. a business. So perhaps these are rates that may apply to businesses, and not domestic users?? Time will tell.

Smart meters will allow billing in half or quarter hour increments. So I think the aim would be on those really hot days when everyone puts on their Aircons and over stretches the electricity generating capacity the supply company could charge a higher electricity rate. So some high use business may decide that it is not worth continuing to consume electricity. This may encourage voluntary switch off instead of random load shedding that occurs occasionally now.

So I don't think the the intention would be that all peak power charges would go to 42 cents/kwh, only the peak of the peak usage. This will apply to businesses and will also flow though to domestic use at some stage (though different rates to business).
BarKing
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

BarKing wrote:And who now currently pays 8 c/kwh for peak electricity?

Possibly, those on the TOU tariffs.. 8c is the nominated "Off Peak" rate, from there it goes to 14c and then to 36c. Peak (2 to 8pm). These are real EA prices

http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/State/NSW/Residential/Products-and-services/Electricity/~/media/Files/RETAIL/Residential/Pricing/RescustomerpricingIA2009.ashx

BarKing wrote:power charges would go to 42 cents/kwh, only the peak of the peak usage

Possibly so - But many silly rumors, end up as fact.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Living Green