Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Powerstar W7 Inverter modification

Postby astro_optics » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 am

Hi Oztules,

I got one of the Powerjet 6000W LF units, and was shocked to find that without any modification it was drawing about 200W in standby, did you experience the same with your 8000W unit before modification, hopefully my unit is not faulty!

I also got 5000W -LF 24V unit, and without mod as using about 60W, and now with the ferrite in place less than 20W...big difference

Thanks!
astro_optics
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby markhead » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 am

8000WLF seller states 5-6 amps idle draw current so don't panic-they are not lying-much! Got my W7 apart now and replacement of doubtfuls begins - transformer definitely exiting and maybe IRF1405 set 24 of those as well if they do not pass Peak DCA55 tester test which can be done without desoldering all those suckers [theoretically] Todays job and theres also a 7805 and IRF640N and those 18000mfs as well. Fun time. which will be happening shortly.
markhead
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby astro_optics » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Markhead,
will you be replacing the FETS with a different type is so which?
Cheers!
astro_optics
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby oztules » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:31 am

As Mark said, they claim anywhere from 4-8 amps... and some other figures as well...... have seen.4 to .7 but this is fairyland stuff if unmodified.

My experience is anywhere from 5-8 amps.

There is a heap of iron loss to work through, but the down and dirty ferrite seems to get things down near the 1 amp mark simply.

For the 24v units this means about 20-25w... transformer mass dependent.... ie the 3000w has only 1 transformer to soak up the fields in, the 6000-8000 ones seem to have two trannies. My 6000w has two 3kw torroids, and the 8000w 24v had two 5kw torroids.

The 6000w is a 48v unit, and so far have only pulled it down to 1amp, have not had time to "tune it" yet.

Just got an 8000w 48v unit, but haven't had time to play yet... assume 6-7amps at the moment.... will see what we can get it down to soon I hope.

Mark, check the board around the current transformer ( near the 240v output take offs ). If it can't consistently hold it's power, it may be the reporting system thats got the problems..... don't care much for surface mount tiny bits..... but I guess that is what makes them dirt cheap.

The good news is that the power jacks seem to be the same generic boards, and at least they sell them on ebay. They will fit screw for screw, but you won't have the light displays to look at. It does come with the battery voltage charger regime switch attached, and some leds for run and fault, but not the same row of lights the power star has.

I found that by monstering the australian distributor of my power star, I could get just the control board for around the $110 mark....paid but still waiting.

But I think they will only jump if you have bought from them.

The power board is a simple fix, but the control card has a micro on... so anything is possible from easy fix to cannot fix no matter what.

..............oztules
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
oztules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby franks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Power Jack LF inverter chargers, if any good, are very good value, under 20 cents per watt ??

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/LF-5000W ... 08784.html.

I doubt its comes with C-tick & AS standards .
3.04kW Grid Tie system 16 of 190W PVs, Samil 3.3kW
3.8kW PV Stand Alone Off Grid.. 5-8kWHr Per day
24 of 190W PVs
Midnite Classic 150 & Lite MPPT
8 of 6V 600 AH flooded cells (24 volt 1200 AH)
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger
franks
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby astro_optics » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:20 pm

NO, POWERJACK 6000W-LF does not have any sign of certification or standard except for CE RoHS , which means you can dispose of it safely...eventually when it dies!

I just hope that it has some reasonable safety features besides the two fuses for BATTERY and INVERTER, you cannot just reset it, you have to replace the fuse, the old PowerStarW7 were definitely better quality builds.
The New large LED screen on it it's absolutely useless and inaccurate, it would be better just disconnecting it as it wastes power, the the old PowerStarW7 display has a useful function.
I'm thinking of ripping the transformers out of it and using them in the Powestar instead.
But firstly, I'll try to mod my POWERJACK 6000W-LF 48V unit shortly, will keep you updated.
astro_optics
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby astro_optics » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:38 pm

The Powerjack 6000W 49V uses IRF84310 FETS, cannot find them anywhere on the web, any idea of what the equivalent would be? Anyone???
astro_optics
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby markhead » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:49 pm

DON'T BOTHER- WASTE OF TIME. GO HERE
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221351354856 ... 1436.l2649

You get the complete board with all the mosfet bits already attached- price seems fair- $179

A ten minute fix!
markhead
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby franks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Interesting. where do I find a 3kVA toroidal transformer??
$180 is a cheap option to restore a dead LF inverter ??
3.04kW Grid Tie system 16 of 190W PVs, Samil 3.3kW
3.8kW PV Stand Alone Off Grid.. 5-8kWHr Per day
24 of 190W PVs
Midnite Classic 150 & Lite MPPT
8 of 6V 600 AH flooded cells (24 volt 1200 AH)
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger
franks
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby oztules » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:31 pm

Astro try IRFB4310 or IRFB4110 ( 180A 100v)

Yep I mentioned elsewhere that the screen was near useless.... although I have found it to be useful since I turned the backlighting on full time. The watts out and KWH are useful tools... the rest are a waste of space.

My new 48v 8000w now runs at <.5A idle current.. we are down in the 20 watt range for the price of an ecore, three and a half turns of wire, and NO spacing this time.... 30 thou spacing brings the current back up to 1.1 amps.
If these folks could do just a bit of quality control, they would be a real force to reckon with..... luckily they are not interested in making a fine machine.... a good thing, as now they use decent trannies and boards ( made elsewhere I suspect), there is not much they can stuff up apart from assembly.... which is a bit iffy.

So if you want a decent inverter, for a wicked low price, and are prepared to spend a few hours bringing / fixing it up to spec this is a classic.

If you want an off the shelf "quality" machine... maybe buy something else ten times the price for little better components if at all.... ( yes I'm currently in the guts of a latronics at the moment... they have problems too it seems)

But beware, if your just a consumer, they are not for you.......these things need a little help to get them running efficiently, but most of the bits are there to make it happen.

They do work well off the shelf, but not efficiently... you will lose 5kwh/day for nothing.

If they did it properly out of the box........ then they would not be this cheap now would they....

Nup... I luv em... cheap, tough, easy to modify, and the entire spares are realistically priced and available too.

Cant say the same about this latronics thing laying dead on the bench. 24 blown mosfets, drivers and not sure what else at this stage.... expensive, tough and a dog to work on..... at least the chip looks to be still functioning at some level.

Franks..... now you have the idea..... just add a box and transformers and presto.....

................oztules
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
oztules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance