Further falls in grid power consumption are inevitable

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Further falls in grid power consumption are inevitable

Postby lantern » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am

Well AJ is certainly full of something.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Mind you... He is brilliant on some things.. He can get his head around some subjects very well.

The issue for us poor mortals, is knowing when he is claiming to be educated on a subject and when he really is..
All I know is that he sure does not like being corrected, by anyone..

So as far as the OP is concerned...
We who know, will continue to find ways of reducing consumption, and shifting energy usage in both time and mode, and increasing our own energy production.. ;) .. and Mr. Jones will just keep on paying his energy bills, not the wiser.. :lol:
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

lantern wrote:The writing was on the wall over five years ago. The power retailers chose to ignore it.
Now their running around like headless chooks wondering why their age old business model is failing them.

Their answer is to keep increasing prices so as to keep the dividend payments to their shareholders.

Pathetic!

They should embrace change instead of denying it.

Every time I replace a home appliance, the new one seems to be vastly more energy efficient.

New refrigerator, much thicker and better insulation = less kWh.
Replaced the old faithful CRT computer monitor with a flat screen LCD displaty, about one tenth the measured power.
Replaced many of the old hot running plug packs around here with the new (now mandatory) stone cold running switched mode type, much less power.
Bought a new much faster PC (x18 speed) amazingly the measured mains power consumption halved.

Replaced a couple of 240 volt wall clocks with battery wall clocks.
Sixty milliamps for one miserable wall clock does not sound like much, but its 14.5 watts, and that is 348 wH per day, 127 kWh per year , just to move the hands on a friggin wall clock !!!
It makes one alkaline AA cell per year look like a real bargain.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Warpspeed wrote:Every time I replace a home appliance, the new one seems to be vastly more energy efficient.

That's my underlying point. Even if consumers make no effort to save energy, consumption will fall as appliances are replaced. Indeed short of deliberate waste, it would be virtually impossible for the average household not to have lower electricity use going forward.

I bought a new TV in late 2007 and bought the nicest one I was willing to pay for. It's 42" plasma and draws 350 watts. At the time, I just wasn't willing to pay the extra $1000 it would have cost to get the same size LCD screen drawing 250W as there are much cheaper ways of saving energy than that.

But if I replaced it today then I could just get an LED one drawing around 120W, one third of what my 6 year old TV uses and half what an "efficient" LCD used at the time.

I don't know what my old CRT computer monitor uses, I'm guessing it's around 100W. But the nice new LED one I have at work is twice the size and draws 24.5 Watts according to what it says on the back. Even with the bigger screen, it's a huge % drop in power use.

Also spotted in Bunnings today that there are now 13 Watt LED lights with an output that's about half way between and old 75 and a 100 W globe. In the space of just a year or so LED has gone from small lights with low output to now being a real alternative for replacement of household light bulbs. And it's overtaken CFL with efficiency too and continues to improve.

Another one, I have a light fitting that uses a specific type of bulb and which CFL's don't fit (due to physical size). The bulb is 141 Watts (a rather odd figure but that's what it says) incandescent and they're long life too - rated at 13,500 hours. Whilst it's only a modest improvement, there's now a 105 Watt halogen one available that produces the same light output. Not massive but it's still a saving.

Heating / cooling, lighting, hot water, computers, TV, general appliances - the new ones are significantly more efficient in practically every case. So consumption ought to trend down even if there is no conscious effort to do so. And of course if consumers do try to save well that just speeds up the fall in consumption....
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lantern » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 am

When all the street lights start getting replaced with LED's the savings will be astronomical.
Watch them whinge then! :lol:
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Smurf1976 wrote:..... In the space of just a year or so LED has gone from small lights with low output to now being a real alternative for replacement of household light bulbs.....

and that was my point in an earlier post..

I have now replaced all the Main-Area lamps to LED, and some are just TOO bright.. YES - LED's have come of age..

Many CFL luminaires can be readily converter by fitting an ES bulb base.. It's the fittings that most often cause the dramas with replacement..

Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:22 pm

lantern wrote:When all the street lights start getting replaced with LED's the savings will be astronomical.
Watch them whinge then! :lol:

Street lights actually became less efficient in the 1990's, at least they did around here.

Suburban ones used to be 2 x 20W fluoro tubes. Then they went to 50W Mercury Vapour (MV). Then they found that 50W wasn't bright enough and went to 80W. The reason for the shift away from fluoro tubes was simply maintenance - doubling or more the bulb life more than offset the cost of additional energy consumption.

But in more recent times they've been using a 42W (I think it's 42W) CFL type of light for replacements. And needless to say, an LED one would use even less power.

For highways and inner-city lights, which are usually much brighter, the change has been from 400W MV to 250W sodium and they're now starting to use LED's for those too. So another saving there.

This does vary between states however and the figures I've quoted are for Tas. In the suburbs of Adelaide they use a single fluoro tube - I think they are 36W (could be 58W, not certain on that point).
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tonyf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:32 pm

The basic facts are these ...
If you look at the profit posted by the electricity companies for end of last financial year, you will see that despite the so called capital investment write-offs, they are making profits in the billions like our banks !

Also, take the fact that in Vic we are paying around 32c/KwHr now as a private house, but if I were a business user I can get deals as low as 12c per KwHr. This clearly shows how much we are being gouged ....

Unfortunately ... in the long term ... gas prices will go to ridiculous levels to make up for the decreasing turnover of electricity so that the suppliers can maintain their profit levels.
tonyf
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency