50% less power consumption of my old fridge

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: 50% less power consumption of my old fridge

Postby vk4kij » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:28 pm

offgridQLD wrote:People next door they have the smaller ETM4200 on a tiny off grid system I will ask them if they can use standby mode.

Dose that number 1.25kwh and 2kwh include the self consumption of your selectronics inverter?

Thanks.

Yes, that is what is being put into the system from the PL60, around 54Ah in winter and 75Ah in summer, at 24v.

The ETM4200 fridge made a huge difference when we installed it compared to the old fridge.

With the old fridge I tried putting insulation around the outside of it (it had the heat exchange coils on the rear), but I couldn't tell any real difference, it was old and the wife wanted a new shiny one.

We only have 1.4kW PV system, unfortunately shading issues (hills) means we only have sun on the panels from 9:30am to 2pm, feeding 13 year old batteries.

On the bright side, with no TV reception, no mobile phone reception, no internet, there is not much else turned on except the DVD player and TV set :)

Ian.
vk4kij
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:29 pm

vk4kij wrote:On the bright side, with no TV reception, no mobile phone reception, no internet, there is not much else turned on except the DVD player and TV set

There must be a lot of kids.. :( ;)
vk4kij wrote:unfortunately shading issues (hills) means we only have sun on the panels from 9:30am to 2pm

Do you need the loan of a chain saw.. :?:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 pm

My consumption varies from looking at the logs from my charge controller 3.3kwh - 7.5kwh is the range I can see looking back over the last 30 days.

Though we are living between two homes at the moment so 3.3kwh would be the base load when we are not there though everything is still on including internet, security cams and so on. I would say 6.5kwh seams to be the trend when the are there.though we do have tv,internet,dishwashers on most mod cons.

my system is much the same regarding afternoon shading it faces north /east so its great in the mornings. usually on float by 9am but the panels start dropping out one string at a time by 3pm and by 4:30pm it almost lights out.

kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby vk4kij » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Tracker wrote:There must be a lot of kids.. :( ;)

No only one, who is the 3rd adult.

Tracker wrote:Do you need the loan of a chain saw.. :?:

More like a lot of dynamite.

Ian.
vk4kij
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 am

vk4kij wrote:More like a lot of dynamite.

BUGGAR.. in the valley, then.. :!:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:34 am

I guess you cant have it all.

Property's in the valley might suffer from lack of sun but they get all the fertile thick top soil and quite often have creeks- rivers running through them . Water and good soil are great assets.

I look down on the valley and I can see the down side especially on misty mornings. while I have uninterrupted sun but I have thinner soil. While the springs that feed creek below start in my property and I have water. Its not flowing as a creek in my place (energy potential) like it dose down in the valley.

I have lived in both scenario's intimately (with unlimited funds :roll: ) I would love to have the valley and the hills above. Live on the hill and work the land below. Unfortunately these kind of ideal property's have become weekend play toy farms for the rich and famous in my area.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby vk4kij » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Yep, in the valley, most of the property is quite steep, with only half an acre of flat land.

I do have a permanent creek running about 5m from the house, has a small waterfall, only 1m, when it rains it quickly rises over the waterfall, in storms it can rise about 4m. Tried thinking of various ideas for power but decided more panels would be more cost effective, if not less maintenance.

Ian.
vk4kij
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

2 years after insulating my fridge...

Postby Allen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:36 am

Here an update: 2 years after insulating my fridge it is running smoothly at 135kWh per year without any issues. That makes this 20 years old fridge as efficient as a modern A++ refrigerator - just by adding insulation.

Have a look for details and comments: http://coolfridge.blogspot.de/

Greetings! Allen.
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency