sensor based indoor light fittings?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: sensor based indoor light fittings?

Postby Clemo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:05 pm

They are a good idea, the clipsal 360 deg ones work a treat and look neat mounted in the ceiling.
They make a 3 wire model for use with fluro lighting.
Unfortunately they are very expensive and I doubt the average household would ever see a return in regards to saved energy consumption.
I don't know about cheaper options, some of the cheaper sensors I've used over the years are garbage.
Clemo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 am

Clemo wrote:Unfortunately they are very expensive and I doubt the average household would ever see a return in regards to saved energy consumption.....

DITTO .. to the cost, and from our experience, They are only applicable for use in some conditions..

Eg. We have one in the office and have to turn it to manual when sitting at the computer.. ie. No real movement.

Great Devices for little rooms, And even if you sit too long, An arm wave turns things back on.

Even the architrave switch is expensive.. 'bout $50 I think..

I would think that the advent of LED lamps, will reduce the value of such devices..
Ie a typical 90% power reduction on incandescent power rates ...
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:41 pm

I agree swap the light for a LED globe . Cheaper, simpler and cleaner looking than the sensor device especially if you need to pay a electrician to install it. With the led globe the savings are ongoing even when the room is in use and light is on.

I hate sensor lights and all the crazy chicken dance you need to do to make the light come back on. It always switches off and puts you in the dark at the worst time.

The only time they are ok is when you can't get to the switch but want the light to come on like in a driveway as you pull up in the car. Not really needed in the toilet or Bedroom.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:40 pm

offgridQLD wrote:.....Not really needed in the toilet or Bedroom......

Br agree, Wc disagree..

Reason - I wanted them to switch exhaust fans (and light) and for it to be automatic and not left to those in the know to use..
After you leave , the fan always runs on, for two minutes.. No unpleasant surprises for the next user.. :oops:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Clemo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Clipsal make a switch with integral timer that you can fit in the toilet situation (looks like a standard switch), it has a set of instantaneous contacts that you connect the light active to and a delayed set of contacts for the fan.
IE you switch the light off and the fan runs on for 8 minutes. Time is fixed you cant adjust it.
Have used them for some commercial customers in the past but again, they are expensive at well over $100.

You could always make your own out of some fairly cheep components for much less.
Clemo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:05 pm

No unpleasant surprises for the next user

I see your point ;) we have the fan/ light unit but no timer.

Perhaps a 3 setting timer label .(1) Curried egg ,(2) Indian take away (3) asparagus soup would do the trick :lol:

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency