Time of Use Metering Question

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Time of Use Metering Question

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Geoff Bensley wrote:Thorium Reactors

Geoff, please keep on topic, that particular technology is a long way off, and likely to be more expensive than solar by the time it is viable, it is definitely not relevant to working with TOU metering now, as per Nedkelly's question.

Feel free to start a new topic on it though ;)
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Geoff Bensley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Sorry Gordon for the off track rant.
Ok on the North Coast of NSW electricity charges apply for Time of Use Tariff :Peak and Shoulder is 0.349 cents per kWh , Off Peak is 0.174 cents per kWh .
From calculation I have found that if a minimum 25% of your electricity usage is during Off Peak periods you are starting to save money if you are charged at TOU Tariff compared to Residential Peak Tariff which costs 0.313 cents per kWh .
Being that Off Peak tariff is available 55% of the time over a 7 day cycle you can save money by varying only a few things of your day to day life.My parents are retired and are home most days so they do washing before 7am or on the weekend.For young people put the dishwasher on after 10pm and set the washing machine to start at say 5.30am (use a plug in timer if your DW or WM doesn't have inbuilt timer).
I had a TOU meter installed at the end of November 2012 and the savings so far is $21 compared to Residential Peak tariff.
Geoff Bensley
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Smurf1976 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Just a correction but you're out by a factor of 100 there. It would be more like 31.3 cents for peak, not 0.313 cents.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency