KwH Computer Program - Are you a programmer..?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

KwH Computer Program - Are you a programmer..?

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am

Anyone out there into programming a simple routine to count pulses on an input (eg RTS of 232)
and then divide by a number (pulse/KwH) and store the figure, every (say) 30 Minutes..

There are a number of simple KwH meters that produce pulses , proportional to the consumption, BUT they don't store anything but the total..

Come on you retired programmers..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: KwH Computer Program - Are you a programmer..?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:50 am

If that plan fails, try Plan B - just put an old phone with camera in front of the display and set it to automatically take a photo every 30 mins, or whatever other interval you choose ;) Of course then you have to look at them all and enter the values into your spreadsheet.
Plan C would be to use a data logger.

My data logger was damaged in a lightning strike for the 2nd time this year on Sunday, but with a 2nd hand A/D board I've now got it back up and running :)
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:If that plan fails, try Plan B - just put an old phone with camera in front of the display and set it to automatically take a photo every 30 mins, ....

It's annoying that there is a computer running 24/7 and I have to go through all the photos.. :lol:

What about a digital camera and OCR program to read the photo every 30 Mins..
Now that is getting technical.. :roll:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bonybrown » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 am

Tracker,
Have I got a deal for you!

I've got a prototype device that you attach to your meter that does exactly what you want.

It counts the pulses, and stores the totals for an interval (I like 5 minute intervals, but could be configurable to 30), and then you connect to it from your PC/Phone via bluetooth periodically to retrieve that data. It can store about 1900 intervals before the memory runs out. That's almost a week @ 5 minute intervals, almost 40 days @ 30 minute intervals.

Pros:
  • When you connect to it with your PC, it can synchronise the time, so the data should match the billing intervals.
  • Doesn't lose recorded data should there be a power outage.
  • It has provision for a second sensor, if you wanted to record export kWh as well

Cons:
  • You just need a power point in the meter box to power the device, it uses a 5v micro-USB phone charger for power.
  • Not ready yet

Where it's at: I've built a prototype of the hardware, but haven't started on the software.
I think that it should be about $30, if you supply your own phone charger, $40 otherwise.

Anyone interested?

Regards,
Tony.
bonybrown
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 am

I would be relatively sure that there will be MANY on here, would would go for it..

Twenty years back, I would be doing it myself..
Today, I have TOO many other things to do..
Just ask the Bride.. :evil:

Make it versatile, so that you can either use the "Light Sensor" Blue-Tacked to the Power Meter, or a NO or NC ( PullUp/PullDown) inputs..

ie capacity for DUAL recording.
Last edited by Tracker on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bonybrown » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks for the feedback, Tracker.

After I posted, I thought about the "versatility", and it occurred to me that I could do an RS232 version with a DB9 connector on it instead of the bluetooth module for about the same price. Would require a 3-wire cable from the PC to the device in the meter box. Perhaps some have this already, or don't want/have bluetooth capability.

As for the NO/NC option.... good idea. It's already there, in a way. Just needs provision for a pull-down resistor in the NC case.

Regards,
Tony.
bonybrown
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 pm

bonybrown wrote:As for the NO/NC option.... good idea. It's already there, in a way. Just needs provision for a pull-down resistor in the NC case.

Precisely - It's just good practice to include that versatility.

RS232 - under normal circumstances, I would build a detector with an RS232 connector, and activate the CTS and RTS, and then write a program to Monitor CTS and RTS and count them as pulses..

THIS would be simplest way of doing it, avoiding the need to ANY smart capacity in the Fuse-Box device..

The SMART device is clearly better, if it means that you don't lose data, if the computer is down...

The other way ( as I last did it ) was to store a small amount of data locally, and then regularly "Access" the data.
This used flags that ensured that what you read today, started at the last download, and if validated, sets a flag to overwrite. Just some logical smarts.. ;)

This way, you only need to pole the device "Occasionally"..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency