hybrid solar airconditioner

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

hybrid solar airconditioner

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Could be old news but I just came across hybrid solar airconditioner's .

What they are saying is the size of the compressor is reduced
The condenser efficiency is greatly improved by preheating the
refrigerant with what looks to be a heat exchanger like a solar hot water system.

http://www.solakool.com.au/how-it-works/

utube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLAEE54DA506F526FD&v=GtfsWVLjRmg&feature=player_detailpage

Something a little different but on topic. When I was visiting china a few years ago I did see a lot of split system AC units where the condenser unit outside had a small vac tube solar hot water system mounted diectly to it with the tubes directly in front of the fan. I can only amuse that the heat from the condenser was boosting the vac tube hot water system. I can see some logic in this and they must have worked as they were every were on the sides of buildings

They looked something like this

Although the system i mentioned first is something different all together.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: hybrid solar airconditioner

Postby Tracker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:28 am

Yes - Interesting..
I looked at the first one ages ago and commented on it somewhere, and thought - what a joke..?
Just think about the typical places that the compressors are mounted and then think of how much Solar Access there would be....
The technology is VERY old, with roof collectors being used for many years.
I think the roof collectors would be less favored, these days because of the greater chance of Gas Leaks from all the extra connections. ( and we will ignore that astronomic price on GAS these days, thanks to Juliar's Carbon Tax.)

Now the second device is interesting..
I would doubt that it's a solar HW system, and would think it's like the first, but more practical..
ie. a solar collector , probably heating a tank of glycol, and the RAC is using the heat for home heating..
It could make ALL the difference with COLD climates and make the RAC usable where their COP really fails below certain temperatures.. It would not impede the normal air flow, and would lend itself to typical High-Rise situations with other than South Orientation..

It would be interesting to know just what a difference it would make, but you would think that it would still be limited to W/M2 of the solar collector..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Benny » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 pm

This has been discussed widely in another thread - most people are sceptical.
If its so efficient then why does it only get 2.5 stars cooling and 3 stars heating ? (2.5kW version)

See here...

http://reg.energyrating.gov.au/comparat ... nate_by=20

If you're off grid and looking for an efficient AC, try the mitsubishi heavy industries models.
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Personally I don't need AC we live on the edge of a large hill in the hinterland so we get natural cool wind that flows through the house along with lots of insulation high ceilings I haven't even had to turn the cieling fans on yet. The only reason the fans were installed had something to do with it meeting the criteria for its star rating.

The only place I could use one is in my shed. Though I need to install two more windows on the south side to get natural wind flow + some more insulation first. If i did get one for the shed it would just be a way under sized little cheap nasty portable unit where I would wheel it over and have the compressor runny 100% duty cycle blowing cold air directly on me. As I would only use it it extreme weather around mid day in the shed.efficiency is of no concern I usually have a good 2000 -3000w of pv to play with on a day like that.

There must be some gains from cooling the condenser fins perhaps with a spray mister.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency