24v pump for hotwater

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: 24v pump for hotwater

Postby jdaley » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:33 am

They are perfect. I have used them on my hot rod and never thought of them in the house.
They run with 12v as standard.
Its just a matter of playing with bigger hoses and stepping them down.
Thanks a million.
jdaley
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby brendanh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

Magnetically coupled motor from memory. I had 1 of these http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-ELECTRIC_BOOSTER_PUMP_12V_SHORT___PART_No__9002-details.aspx on a home made solar hot water system with the pump running off of a 20 watt panel and a mini-maximiser. Worked great for 3 years. Then I bought a Solahart system, but I still have the pump and plan on rigging it up again with 1 of the retired solar hot water collectors and run the water through my spa I just bought. Bugger the electric heating element in the spa pump!.
brendanh
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby sbrewer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 pm

March pumps commonly used in home brewing are very well made and reliable. They have a range of 24V DC hot water pumps, including brushless DC - like this one: http://www.marchpump.com/809-brushless/

Not sure where you can get them in Australia, but I'm sure that a web search will find something near you - or just order it from the US.
sbrewer
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby zzsstt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 pm

If you put a pump on the hot water, you will also need to put one on the cold water to ensure it has the same pressure. Otherwise you may have issues with your tempering valve, and a tempering valve (set at 50C) is a legal requirement to prevent scalding on all bathroom taps and showers.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Living Green