Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

Postby zzsstt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Tracker wrote:I am curious how it work with a quality SS wok..

I have a "Chinese" wok, carbon steel (rusts in seconds) and quite thin. I also have a stainless but otherwise similar wok, but I always use the carbon steel one!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 pm

I haven't tried to measure it, but I'm sure the bottom part of the curve is hotter than up the sides, but when doing a stir-fry I cant say I notice much difference to the gas burner! Steel is a reasonably good conductor, so the hot area is going to be larger than the magnetically induced hot patch, and it works very well.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I haven't tried to measure it, but I'm sure the bottom part of the curve is hotter than up the sides,.

What I might have thought, but seriously unimportant..
zzsstt wrote:I have a "Chinese" wok, carbon steel (rusts in seconds) and quite thin.

We have to get rid of ours.. I have strangely developed "High Iron" problems (Haemachromotosis) and have been told to ditch anything that rusts, as those will ADD iron to whatever we cook. I LOVE my red meat..
I'de eat a kangaroo raw if it sat still enough.. :lol: .. :roll:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:47 am

You need to eat more spinach!! Contrary to the "Pop-Eye" myth, spinach actually removes iron from the body because it binds iron as ferrous oxalate and prevents it being absorbed in the gut. So eating spinach with meat reduces the amount of iron absorbed by the body. I'm not sure if this also applies to the "spinach" that is sold in Australia, because it's actually silverbeet. Real spinch has a flatter, rounder leaf with a green stem, not the white stem and crinkled leaf that silverbeet has. The "baby spinach" sold in the supermarket salad section looks like it's real spinach.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:20 pm

We got a Glem (Italian brand) Bi-Energy cooker. It has a gas OR electirc oven, and gas top burners, including a double wok burner. It wasn't as expensive as Mieles or Ilves, but works very well, and has very heavy duty cast iron trivets-pot supports on the top, unlike the cheap tinny looking things you see on some Euro stoves.

You can bang or drag the pots around on this without fear of breaking it.

Personally I find gas hotplates much better than electric, but I have friends who love their induction cooktops. And gas ovens make the best bread.

We mostly use gas in the oven, with electric mainly used for delicate cakes and things that need a very steady temp, plus as a griller. The electric elements are both top and bottom and both the gas and electric can be fan forced or not. Main pain is it isn't a self cleaning oven - but a spotless oven is not on our vital to have list.

We've had to replace a door hinge under warranty but everything else has been fine. The oven shelves are not as good as the top end products, but do the job fine, and really it would be hard to justify the extra $2000 for an Ilve.

The other thing to consider is the potential for power cuts - gas will still be there to use - just like a gas BBQ. In fact we have an old BBQ cast iron plate we put on top of this stove to use as an indoor BBQ in wet weather - with the range hood sucking at full speed and the nearest smoke alarm covered!
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Living Green