How to set up electricity meters to an Apartment complex

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

How to set up electricity meters to an Apartment complex

Postby whill2k » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi All,

It's a complex question, so please bear with me.

I am currently on the committee for an owners corporation for an Apartment complex.

The Electricity is provided through an embedded network. None of the residents can get Electricity from an outside retailer, and are forced to pay the horrendous tariffs for the embedded network provider.

Naturally, I tried to switch. I was told that the company owns the meter that's installed, therefore I can only get power with them, and nobody else.

I took this to the ombudsman but I was told "bad luck". The company in question has a nice loophole.

We have discovered that their contract is up early next year and we can boot them out. However, the sticking point is that they own some of the infrastructure. What the phone rep told me was that they own the physical meters. We have the choice to use alternate energy retailers, but those retailers can't use their meters.

Does anyone have any knowledge on what needs to be done to hook up an apartment complex to "the grid" – time, costs, etc. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Many of us would dearly love to switch to a new source of energy.
whill2k
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: How to set up electricity meters to an Apartment complex

Postby Privatteer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Physically you are already on the grid unless there is a very odd setup.

Replace site master meter, replace each unit power meter worse case. Not too complex a job assuming everything complies with standards.
Harder part will be getting everyone to agree!
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: How to set up electricity meters to an Apartment complex

Postby Tracker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:07 pm

We don't know WHERE this is happening, so it's hard to give complete answers. I would guess Qld., where there seem to be so many scams by agents and the likes.

From my limited understanding, a Level2 ASP Sparkie, can install meters.
Good luck to the current owner, who will be handed old meters to use as he pleases..
Read the fine print in any agreement and make sure there are no time clauses like ".. XXXXXX shall be notified
at least 120 days prior to expiry of this contract..."

I would assume that the first thing is to get the Body Corporate (all owners) to agree to the need for change.
I would then approach a new retailer and ask what they are prepared to do to gain supply.
Would they not consider changing the meters, and if not then they would surely make them available for an approved agent to change them all over..
However, the sticking point is that they own some of the infrastructure.

Is it ONLY the meters..?
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Energy Efficiency