Hi From a newby

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Hi From a newby

Postby greenmorry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 pm

[Moderator- removed quoting of entire previous posting, surely no one wants to read it more than once ;) ]

Thanks Mod!

Thanks Gordon, I checked it out and it answered my question regarding the sun angle to panel angle relationship to power output! Time to start investigating costing on adding more panels for a future upgrade me thinks! True Value solar quoted me $750 per extra panel, surely I can buy cheaper else where!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190W-PV-SOLA ... 2a1ebf6bad
greenmorry
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:51 pm

They will reprogram your meter for export and at the same time update it for TOU

In NSW there was an undertaking that people who wanted to retain the standard plans, could do so..
Only problem, the only retailer in NSW who will permit the choice is Energy Australia.. So, why won't the other allow us to do as the Premier promised??? The likely reason is that EA charges them for TOU, and so they pass it on with profit.

I suspect that if you don't like TOU, then you need to get political..!
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sonnig » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:57 pm

greenmorry wrote:sonnig - register 06 is the main tarrif anytime step 1 (highest)
register 04 is the second tier tarrif any time step 2 (lowest)
register 07 is my HWS (off peak)
These are the only registers being used at the moment

Thanks for that. I am surprised that the different registers are being used to differentiate between consumption levels. I would have thought it would just be applied in the billing system.

zzsstt wrote:1/ Whole house walk-about meter. I use the Wattson, which is "OK". It has a sensor that measures your whole house consumption (and PV generation if applicable) and a display. You can walk around the house switching things off and seeing what differences they make to consumption, and then leave the display somewhere obvious as a constant reminder of your power use.

How has the development of the software for this product gone since the “Product Review - Wattson” thread discussions: living-green/topic567.html

Also just to highlight, as was mentioned in the thread, you need to position the clamp(s) over specific cable(s). Generally these are not accessible.

zzsstt wrote:Because a current clamp cannot tell which way the power is flowing (only the magnitude of flow), the clamps should be positioned to allow for this. The additional notes on the DIY-Kyoto web page explain how to achieve this, but basically the "consumption" clamps are located downstream of the PV insertion point, and the PV sensor is on the inverter line. This allows total consumption and total generation to be measured separately.

I have a basic clamp meter that does not have an extra input for attaching a clamp to the inverter feed. For simplicity I have positioned the clamp on the power feed between the meter and switchboard. This results in measuring the instantaneous power flowing through the meter but it is unable to work out whether this is being imported or exported so the total “consumption” increments even when power is being exported.

The device has still been useful to see instantaneous changes when devices turn on and off but has limitations during daylight hours. While the solar is not generating it is useful to see what the base load of the house is and whether turning off individual devices changes this dramatically.

Please be aware that in the majority of cases it will require a capable electrician to have these clamps installed in the correct location in the circuit, a task that I hope can be done in my switchboard when an electrician comes to install power to the garage.
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby zzsstt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am

I haven't even bothered to check for software updates recently. My main use of the Wattson has always been as a quick indicator of my power use, the costings and patterns are less interesting. As an indicator of consumption the Wattson is very good, but my impressions were that the manufacturers were more interested in selling gimmicky dress-up kits than doing anything useful (I could argue that "greens" like gimmicks more than substance...) and the last contact I had with them they were talking about an iPhone app - utterly pointless when the main software left so much to be desired!

I have never found a problem with placing the current clamps on the correct cables. At worst it involves swinging open the main panel and hooking the clamp(s) on the relevant cable(s). This should be a perfectly safe operation - if it exposes any live wires then there is something very wrong, and you need an electrician anyway!! However, as Sonnig suggests, an electrician should be employed to do this if the homeowner does not feel 100% confident.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sonnig » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:42 am

Sonnig wrote:When I mentioned the off peak period shifting by 1hr during daylight savings time I was basing this on the clock not changing. I am aware that my retailer, Diamond Energy receives the 30 minute interval data.

I would imagine that SP AusNet charges them based on daylight savings time so I guess it is up to the retailer as to how they apply the data to my bill. I will ask them what timing method they use.

Tracker wrote:So would this imply that they WILL hopefully, compensate to DST...

I did manage to talk to someone from Diamond Energy in mid-June who was familiar with the billing system. He was fairly confident that even though the clock in the smart meter did not change, the hour offset would be applied to the interval data during daylight savings time meaning that the peak / off-peak cycle does not change, so they do actually compensate for DST.

He mentioned that he wanted to get further clarification on this so I will post an update when this is confirmed.
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Previous

Return to Energy Efficiency