50% less power consumption of my old fridge

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Postby Allen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:20 am

Hi all, i did insulate my old fridge and did reduce power consumption down to 50%!! It was cheap in material (25Euros) and does save 27 Euros at the power bill each year. It looks still as a normal fridge and was fun. Have a look here for pics and information: http://coolfridge.blogspot.com/

Allen
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am

The big problem is that 90% of modern fridges are just not suitable for the changes.... with the heat exchanger in the side walls.
Your old style (rather small) fridge, was suitable, so that's good..

I wonder how long it will be befor we see purposefully designed devices, that have the thicker walls..
Maybe we will never see them because the number of folk prepared to sacrifice useable cold-space for efficiency, is likely small.

With Governments forcing the issue on devices like Water-Heaters, and water-efficient-washing-machines, it's a wonder that they don't pass laws about the thermal efficiency of fridge/freezers, but, we know that they are not really serious, with encouragement for Solar-Power installations and then removal of the encouragement, because they find that it costs money.

WHY - should we even have to think about adding insulation.. :?:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: 50% less power consumption of my old fridge

Postby Allen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm

I mostly agree with you:

1. Not any fridge in any location is suitable for insulation. One has to be sure where the condenser and the evaporator are because they have to stay clear. And you need space for your insulation. But i am quite sure that some walls of any fridge are suitable for extra-insulation. My personal problem was more or less: Insulating old fridge versus buying a new one. Oekologically and financially it was better to insulate the old fridge and save 50% of the power, save money and save a new fridge (means saving the wasting of the old fridge)
2. Why do we have to think about insulating our fridges at all? It only costes cents to put extra-insulation for the producer. But people dont want thick walls and smaller space inside. Governments though did react in europe: they invented the energy-labels which are lowering the energy consumption over time. But it is a bit slow so far.

Allen
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Allen wrote:they invented the energy-labels which are lowering the energy consumption over time.

and I do wonder just how much reliance can be given to the results.
I was looking at one group of products and noticed that they all seemed to have the same figures.. :roll:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Allen wrote:Governments though did react in europe: they invented the energy-labels which are lowering the energy consumption over time. But it is a bit slow so far.

I thought they first started in some Australian states in the mid-1980's? Or did Europe have them earlier?
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Allen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 pm

I did check wikipedia: Europe did introduce the energy labels only in 1994. I could not find who was inventing or developing them. My point was that governments started to introduce them finally. But sure it could be earlier and more strict. Greetings. Allen
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Allen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 am

Just a follow-up after 6 months: the fridge is running smoothlessly on 0,35kWh/day which makes 130 a year or a bit less. No problems with my self-made insulation or what so ever. :D
For the steps it took and some pics see here:

http://coolfridge.blogspot.com/
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bugger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! This gives me a lot to think about when I go to buy an upright freezer in the next month or so :)
bugger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Dont throw your fridge! Insulate it!!

Postby Allen » Fri May 25, 2012 3:24 am

I am happy that you like the project which is still running flawlessly.
If you are thinking of insulating your own fridge there are a few things to keep in mind: you must identify condenser and evaporator, cause the must not be insulated. Its easy to find them, I do describe that here: http://coolfridge.blogspot.pt/2011/12/p ... ridge.html

Greetings. Allen.
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Allen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 pm

One year after insulating my old fridge i did perform a thourough check-up. With the check-up i wanted to see whether the fridge did keep its low energy consumption over time and whether any issues did appear like condense water. The short answer is that the self-insulated fridge is running without problems on very low energy consumption. Details about the check-up and about how to insulate your fridge you can find here:
http://coolfridge.blogspot.de/2011/12/f ... onths.html

Allen
Allen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Energy Efficiency