Letter from AGL NSW

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Letter from AGL NSW

Postby hsvz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Just received a letter from AGL NSW confirming my meter change over and the new tariffs.

They say in the letter:-

first 7000 kwh = 22.37 cents per kwh
thereafter = 24.17 cents per kwh
Feed in tariff = 28.00 cents per kwh

Hang on, since my solar went in last month my FIT as stated should be 8.00 cents per kwh

It does say on this letter to retain it for my records...have they stuffed up or has something changed ????

Dont get me wrong, very happy with fit of 28 cents :D
Aussie Solar Installation
CMS 2000
12 x 195 Watt Panels
My panel output http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=6722&sid=6396
hsvz
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Re: Letter from AGL NSW

Postby Inspector » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 pm

The retailers had until 1 July 2011 (or was it 2010?) to fix up their billing/accounts relating to gross solar generation credits.

Your example (and many more I've seen over the last 9+ months) is clear evidence that they have not complied with this requirement.

Other offenders are Australian Power & Gas, Origin to name a couple.

My father somehow managed to get a credit of ~50c/kwh from "Dodo" when he is only entitled to 20c government bonus. This would legally be paid out of their own pocket, not the government. I wonder how many retailers will "go broke" from inadequate billing systems resulting in them paying customers well over what they're entitled to?

The ombudsman should be investigating all these instances, but the reality is customers that are being creditted more than they are entitled to, aren't reporting it (however they are reporting incorrect disconnections for non-payment, and outrageous bills). I think that's called "human nature". Those customers would also be the first to complain if the error was identified by the retailer, and they had to repay all that was incorrectly paid to them!
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby hsvz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Not sure what you are trying to say here - that I am a cheat and I should report myself or by human nature I will be a cheat.

I never knew any of this till AGL sent me the letter stating the facts a few days ago of what they are paying or going to pay.

Hopefully I have read your post in the wrong context :shock:

Just a tad more info I am on Nett Metering here.
CMS 2000
12 x 195 Watt Panels
hsvz
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Inspector » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 am

Sorry, I should've worded my reply abit better. I started off correctly, but got abit carried away. I'll clarify for you rather than edit my original post, otherwise it will make your post look abit strange :)

I believe AGL has stuffed up in their billing process (as have some other retailers which I've recently identified).

The dates I mentioned in relation to correct billing needing to be issued is probably a pointless comment, as net metering was available for several years before gross metering became available - so the retailer's billing systems should already be able to manage accounts with net metering.

Once they realise their error, they may demand a refund from you, or back-charge it on your bill (without you realising until you actually receive the bill, which might mean hundreds if not thousands of dollars would be owed by you, giving you a heart attack when you see the bill).

I'd recommend contacting AGL and escalating the issue to avoid the future painful process of having to refund the money.

My suggestion of reporting it to the ombudsman should ensure they correct their billing process so all their other customers are sorted out. But the ombudsman is usually the last resort, after exhausting all other (retailer-contact) avenues.

Of course, there's every chance I could be wrong. AGL (and other retailers in a similar situation) might be being generous by offering you much higher credit value than most of their competitors, to retain you as a customer. But I'd put money on the accounting software not identifying that you're not entitled to any government bonus (60c or 20c) of the Solar Bonus Scheme, but paying you (in error) by default. If this is the case, why not offer you 15c or some other obscure amount, instead of the well-publicised 28c that AGL was offering to their "late scheme" gross-metered customers.
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept".
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby hsvz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks Inspector for the reply, I'll wait for the 1st bill (due in 3 weeks) and see what actually happens.

:D
CMS 2000
12 x 195 Watt Panels
hsvz
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:52 pm

The only obvious comment is that they are the ones making the offer.
One can't blame anyone frow accepting the generousity..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sonnig » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Inspector wrote:Once they realise their error, they may demand a refund from you, or back-charge it on your bill (without you realising until you actually receive the bill, which might mean hundreds if not thousands of dollars would be owed by you, giving you a heart attack when you see the bill).

A friend of mine in Victoria stopped receiving bills after having solar installed. He was told that he could not be charged for anything older than 9 months.

Likewise the following is extracted from an August 2009 post on the whirlpool forum :

I'm with TruEnergy and moved into our current place on the 3rd of July LAST year and still haven't received a single electricity bill.

Have contacted TruEnergy several times and they have said (on each occasion) that there is some type of 'billing' issue. I've received from them via email an assurance that once they correct said billing problem they'll apply a good will credit to my account, give me as long as I need to pay it off and in writing have stated that the most they can legally recover is the last 9 months. Thus I have so far received 3 months free electricity and counting.

Would the 9 month rule also apply to any overpayment? Is anyone familiar with what the ruling is?
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby hsvz » Thu May 17, 2012 8:52 pm

1st bill in today complete with 28 cents FIT :D
CMS 2000
12 x 195 Watt Panels
hsvz
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Fats » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Do you know what plan you are on? any other discount on Gas etc? Interested in changing to AGL
Fats
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am

and I just got my "Update" from AGL.

PEAK....... 52.547
Shoulder....21.340
OP...........13.090

Supply.......82.170

They are trying to ATTRACT me back... :lol:
Tracker