Washing machine on solar

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Washing machine on solar

Postby ozchorlton » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

I would suggest that you put the washing machine, on a UPS

You can get a, (quite good, for the price), Eaton brand UPS from DSE, for less than $100.

While you are at it, it may be worth having a UPS on the pc, as well.

Alan.
ozchorlton
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bpratt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm

ozchorlton wrote:I would suggest that you put the washing machine, on a UPS

Wow, what sort of UPS would you get to run a washing machine on ??
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Certainly not one that cost $100! :lol:
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby bpratt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Certainly not one that cost $100! :lol:

Damn, and there I was hoping to get one of those $100 ones for my main air conditioner too ! :lol:
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bush_Magpie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi,

Athough its a great suggestion concerning the UPS I do not believe it will work.

UPS of small sizes only have there output follow the input and when it turns off they keep outputting.

So the dirty power will still be there, unless you start getting into large 5kW upward units which is large and expensive.

You need to cleanup the supply. A filter will cost you $100 for a 10A unit which should do what you want.
3.4kW Solar system in WA
Power One Aurora Inverter
Solar HWS System
Metters Windmill (water pump)
Mick
Bush_Magpie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Sonnig » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 am

The type of large UPS that Bush_Magpie mentioned is called "online". The grid charges the batteries and the inverter generates the AC totally independently of the grid, i.e. from the batteries.

There are online UPSs smaller than 5kW. I know there are 2000VA online UPSs and probably smaller units but the new price would still be high due to their high quality and reliability as they are usually designed to run critical computer servers. As for a second hand price....who knows what you can find.

I have personal experience with a 2000VA unit that runs off 10 * 12V sealed lead acid batteries similar to what is in a home alarm system (12V, I think approx 7Ah).

Even if a UPS is "the cheaper type" and not "online" and not fully isolated from the grid there may still be a level of filtering. This is just a guess so I could stand corrected. The problem you have fits the "try before you buy" category to see whether a potential purchase would fix your problem.

Having said all this, what is your likely setup? I believe you mentioned you are running off a 24V system i.e. off grid. Not sure what a "raps system" is.

Is the 24V close by and easily accessible to connect to or would a UPS need to be connected to your 240V supply already generated from an inverter? I ask because I know of a similar UPS to the one I mentioned that runs off 24V.

Potentially the "schaffner filter" mentioned may fix your problem but I thought I'd add some info to the UPS idea to see whether it might be an option for you.
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby aussieranger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:21 am

[Moderator: EDIT to remove excessive quoting]

Hi, thanks for your comments. The RAPS system refers to remote area power supply or just another way of saying off grid, jargon my apologies. It seems without being able to check that my supply may not be clean and hence affecting the electronics so I'll have to check out all these things when next I visit.
Cheers
aussieranger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Sonnig » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:08 pm

aussieranger wrote:I'll have to check out all these things when next I visit.

Hi aussieranger, has there been any change in the problem experienced with your washing machine?

Have you been able to test the behaviour by using something like a filter or UPS?

Did you manage to collect information requested in other people’s posts?
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

To stop at the one min mark every time I guess the washer is just finishing or entering the spin cycle. Two things one could be a imbalanced load the washer gives up trying to get the barrel up to speed after a few failed attempts but really should go into fault mode or and allow you to open the door eventual. The 2nd thing could be that the inverter doesn't have the the balls to run the spin.

Try running a wash program without spin and see if it finishes the full cycle. processes of elimination realy. i would want proof (as in see it for myself) that the machine functioned correctly on mains power to.

I'm running a asko washing machine that's digital , my refrigerator is a new Electrlux digital, dishwasher F&P digital draws all work fine running from a inverter.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Living Green