Cutting your energy bill.??. Don't try this at home, kids.

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Cutting your energy bill.??. Don't try this at home, kids.

Postby Tracker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Bthree wrote:... so all this will not work for me...Capital outlay and depreciation of batteries must also be considered

and that is the reason for posting the details..

I suspect that MANY have thought about how they can reduce their actual bills, and I have attempted to take a "Standard Approach" at shifting usage from Peak to Off-Peak.. Clearly, it only works when there is more than a 4:1 ratio of Peak to Off-Peak tariff costs, and even then the capital cost would likely NEVER be recouped. As already mention, a tangible benefit is that I do have a means of emergency fridge supply, should the grid go down.

It is inherently safe in that the entire (fridge) circuit is switched from GRID to INVERTER, and when on INVERTER, that circuit is physically separated from the GRID..
I've installed RED - GPO's at strategic locations in the house (at refrigerators).. This is something that I think would be good in a new home.. RED means "Alternative Supply Circuit"..
The benefit... That the emergency circuit is totally isolated from all other home circuits..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby gyro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi folks
Me again! yes the W7 is not good to leave on charging all day because it uses almost all you gain in just operating. I have a 400W three phase wind generator which came with controller etc and found that it took quite a wind to get it to even start charging, then when it did get up some good speed the controller would put on the brakes because the voltage was too high. I was getting very little out of the system so I decided to get rid of the controller and dump load and just connect it straight to the batteries via the diode pack. Lo and behold my batteries just loved the extra attention in high winds de-suphering them to peak condition. I found the extra voltage had more benefit than controlling the input too much. Anyhow for now I will monitor the situation but so far "Happy as a pig in poop"
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 am

gyro wrote: yes the W7 is not good to leave on charging all day because it uses almost all you gain in just operating.

Most definitely AGREE.. :!:
Mine is ONLY connected from 2200 to 0700
The sad thing with the W7 is that they have not used the "Charger On Float" signal (Led) to disconnect the charging process. This could save a deal of wasted power providing minimal charge current.
Because I cannot vary the CHARGING time to suit the usage, I have to set the time to the MAX...

It was my intention, from the outset, to tap this LED voltage for "Charger on Float" and use it to trip out the whole charging process..
Remember that the W7 has an RJ45 connector that emulates the function switch.
It is this switching function that I utilise in all control-functions..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Tracker wrote:
Bthree wrote:I suspect that MANY have thought about how they can reduce their actual bills, and I have attempted to take a "Standard Approach" at shifting usage from Peak to Off-Peak.

I just took the standard, easy approach to achieving the same objective. Hot water (heat pump), dishwasher and clothes dryer are all wired to off-peak. That much at least is profitable.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby gyro » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:01 pm

I agree moving washing machine to run at off-peak and any other items that can do so. When using my inverter from stored energy in my batteries I tend to time it when the usage is high in peak periods (like preparing dinner etc) this way I get the maximum usage out of the energy available. Another trick! if you have undercover area to hang clothes using an ordinary household fan to blow air over wet washing on the line, this fan uses very little energy to remove the moisture in a couple of hours set on timer on off-peak power. Clothes driers use heaps of energy and are noisey and not recomended to run at night while people sleep as well as the possibility that they can catch on fire so running them unattened is not a good idea.
I have purchased a 800 watt 48 volt DC generator to run my mini-hydro system in the creek however I have canned using the Archimedes screw to drive it as it will jam with small debris. When I finish my other project I intend to make a water wheel to drive it.
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:05 am

Just.for the record... We have moved all moveable.operations to off peak. The inverted power is used for unmoveable stuff, initially assigned to refrigerators and a luxury item... An air cond..
We do have the ability to plug in to these GPO points. As previously said , this process is for powering what we might think of as BASE LOAD stuff.
Water heating is off peak Heat Pump..... Gas cooking...... All flouro lighting.. :geek:
Can't think of any thing else to connect. Other than the entire lighting circuit. Ie without compromising electrical safety.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Graham_West_Wyalong » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

gyro wrote:I have removed the charging circuit from my W7 because

Hi Gyro, can you please advise how you removed the charging circuit from the W7 I want to do this for an experiment in lowering the quiescant current drain in a standalone system.

Regards,

Graham.
Graham_West_Wyalong
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby gyro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 am

Hi Graham
Just remove the cover and disconnect the car (simmilar to that used in computers) I will send you a picture of the card in question if you contact me directly at gyro14u@bigpond.com as I can't send pictures on this forum for some reason it doesn't work.
gyro
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 am

gyro wrote:Just remove the cover and disconnect the car

As I will likely be doing similar --- What's a CAR.. ;)
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 pm

gyro wrote: I can't send pictures on this forum for some reason it doesn't work.

The forum isn't a place for "sending" pictures, it's not email! Its easy enough to post a picture in the forum for all to see though, just keep it under 100kB in size, that is more than enough to show the details.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency