Normal Fridge Thermostat into Freezer?

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Normal Fridge Thermostat into Freezer?

Postby Jaffasoft » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi,
With all i have read with purchasing a thermostat to make an upright Freezer into a running temperature of a common Fridge.

I got to wandering if i could pull a normal fridges thermostat out and instal it in an upright Freezer? Though i can not so far find any info on it hence the question.

I've gone as far as pulling an old Fridge Thermostat out and had a look at it.. it's seems similar to a Feezers!... l'm hoping the only difference is the temperature it can be adjusted to.

If i pull the freezer thermostat out and put a fridge one in it's place will it give the desired result of enery efficientcy running the freezer as a fridge?

Thanks.
Jaffasoft
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Normal Fridge Thermostat into Freezer?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Jaffasoft wrote:If i pull the freezer thermostat out and put a fridge one in it's place will it give the desired result of enery efficientcy running the freezer as a fridge?

As long as the freezer has better insulation than the fridge, then I think it should be more efficient, since most of the power used by a fridge (in normal domestic use) is due to heat gain through the walls, door etc, not from opening the door ~10 times/day. The sealed unit/compressor will have a reduced duty cycle too, since it doesnt have to get to such a low temperature as in a freezer.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Jaffasoft » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks for giving me a bit of confidence to try it........

...and try it i did! But can not conclude yet if it's least cutting in to stop the freezer, it is currently running all the time since connecting over an hour ago one thing that has happened is the fridge thermostat is connected and running in the freezer.

I've fidled around a bit with submerging the temperature coil in icy cold water but it seems to continue running. I will let it run all night and see. It may not even be in good working order since i took it out of a discarded fridge from out the back of a refridgeriation repairmans yard!

Trying to acheive something similar to this - http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-desig ... ridge.html
Jaffasoft
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Have you tried adjusting the thermostat? Adjusting it back to minimum (least cold) should turn the compressor off if its been running for any length of time. If not, then just buy a new or working 2/H thermostat that will operate around 5C.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Have you tried adjusting the thermostat?.

Na..! Won't work.. No Freezer-Thermostat could set warm enuf to work as a Produce-Cooler..
Otherwise folk would make mistakes and destroy their frozen goods..

There are a number of issues to consider in the conversion.. What type of freezer is it.. BRAND..
Frost-Free, or what..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:54 am

Tracker wrote:Na..! Won't work.. No Freezer-Thermostat could set warm enuf to work as a Produce-Cooler..

I thought we were talking about the thermostat that is now in the freezer, and runs continuously, ie a fridge thermostat from the repair shop!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 pm

to be frank, I am unsure as to just what is being suggested at this time.
Of paramount importance is to know the technology of the freezer.. being converted to Fridge..

An ideal freezer would be a frost-free one.. ie. has a air-circulating fan to stir up the cold..
The typical Produce-compartment thermostat works at temperatures dependent on WHERE the thermostat is fitted.
A NON-Frost-Free Freezer collects ice in the evaporator plates, and in a Fridge, this would mean that water would be continually dripping into the cabinet.. The same will happen with the Frost-Free, but then the drain water runs out the drain

A Drink-Fridge thermostat would be ideal as it simply turns the motor on at (say) above 6deg, and then off at around 3DegC..(a small hysteresis)
Some PC (ProduceCompartment) thermostats are designed to function in cold-air flow, and these need to function at well below normal PC Temperatures 2-4c.. more like -5c or lower, so that the air in the body of the fridge is warmer 2>4c. They often have a large hysteresis..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jaffasoft » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm

All good info... but lets not get to technical, for one the freezer is that old I don't know what it is and I've covered in paint recently, two just wanted to ascertain if the theory that it would work first then probably looking to refine it more into a better freezer or purchase one further along the way.

We're on track with the old fridge thermostat instaled in the old freezer replacing the original freezer thermostat.

I have a much better and more modern small stand up freezer rated four half stars with draws so it will be a better one to look at more details, make etc. Im just assuming the draws will help keep cold air it as the draws fit quiet snug into the entire freezer area? But I have to go retrieve this from my dad when I get a car hopefully next week!

I haven't got back to this experiment since but should plug it in tonight again to keep up to date with this thread. On the other hand I turned a tiny little fridge right up to the ice setting and placed one glass of water in I, not in the tin I freezer box but in the main fridge area and it was rock solid by morning.

What stricks me as odd is that if you research this theory you will find that its like some fancy wizz bang gadget has been built with solder, boards, readings and thermometers and things and amazingly the producer has this incredible cut in power consumption. It is obvious that he has also purchased one of the best known economically viable Vestfrost Freezer to begin with which I do not mind, you don't get much change from 2000. They selling these thermostat gadgets for up to 150 down to 38 and marketing them as Freezer2Fridge.

If it's as simple as installing a fridge thermostat in an already economical Freezer why don't they just say that.
Jaffasoft
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby debe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Generaly a fridge or Freezer thermostat will have the capillary atached to the Evaporator plate. If its not incontact, the compressor will not cycle. I have converted a freezer (chest type) to fridge use. I used an electronic thermostat which was a Kit from Jaycar electronics. This is very eficient & the compressor hardly runs at all. My nephew uses it to store crushed ice in @ around 1Deg C. The kit is KC5476- $32. Tempmaster Fridge controler MK 11.
debe
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Jaffasoft wrote:All good info... but lets not get to technical, for one the freezer is that old I don't know what it is and I've covered in paint recently, ... just wanted to ascertain if the theory that it would work .

Well, lets not worrie then.. YES - It will work, but we won't worrie about the problems.. :(

If you can't describe what type of freezer you have then do whatever comes to mind.............. and you are sure to find out what happens :roll:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Energy Efficiency