VAWT for urban use.

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

VAWT for urban use.

Postby scar59 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Why is no-one in Australia talking about small VAWT use in urban areas for power generation. In england in particular, One company has develloped very quiet turbines for peoples backyards. Scott
scar59
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: VerticalAxisWindTurbine for urban use.

Postby Tracker » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:07 am

Not entirely true.. Remember that the Forum has only been running for a few short weeks.

http://forums.energymatters.com.au/wind-solar-misc/topic338.html

http://forums.energymatters.com.au/solar-wind-gear/topic81.html?sid=1191d57035ce20feed171782893cfb2a

I for one have a VERY keen interest in ALL turbine technology

So anything practical that you can add would be of interest to us all.

AND - Rather than confuse threads - Continue this thread on the first one above -

"vertical wind turbines"
Last edited by Tracker on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: VAWT for urban use.

Postby KarenS » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:57 pm

scar59 wrote:Why is no-one in Australia talking about small VAWT use in urban areas for power generation. In england in particular, One company has develloped very quiet turbines for peoples backyards. Scott

Currently it isn't an issue in Melbourne, as some recent surveys (and sorry, I cannot remember/find the references, but I'm sure someone here will do it quick smart!), purport to show that there isn't anywhere within 25km of the Melbourne CBD where there is sufficient wind to make small/residential wind generation viable!!

Turbulence is also a chronic problem in built-up areas, and I know VAWTs are better at turbulence than other
WTs, but if there ain't no wind, then it doesn't matter very much ...

I've seen a couple of houses with those VAWTs on 'Grand Designs" - looked interesting, and maybe if they get a bit cheaper, the equation could come out differently.

Also remember that in Melbourne at least, all the palaver you may have seen here and elsewhere regarding feed-in tariffs etc for PV systems will also apply to wind generated power - the distributors just refer to ANY electricity generated by small users, whether it be PV systems, wind, mini-hydro, or your exercise bike or pet pony harnessed to a gennie.
And with the 60c (ex GST) FiT just gazetted to start on 1 November, and retailers being obliged to put tariffs on their websites, and I think, give a month's notice of alterations (although I got no notification of any sort, and I also read the paper daily, the last time my retailer gouged another 2/6 out of us miserable consumers), you may find people in Melbourne are playing a waiting game.

But there are other urban areas in Australia, and if the prices of the UK VAWTs are coming down, maybe you should crank up some awareness!! Anyone you know importing/installing them yet??

Edit: Copied content etc to thread mentioned by Tracker, above.
KarenS
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby scar59 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi KarenS. No I don't know anyone who would be importing The "Quietrevolutions" turbines to Australia at this time, but It does say on thier Website that they are making bigger inroads into the smaller ones. Probably to get more out there and bring the price down. I intend to build one myself to try the idea, when I can get enough time to draw it up and money to buy components. Scott
scar59
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby KarenS » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi scar59,

Before you go spending your hard-earned cash, I'd have a good go at finding out about the wind situation where you intend to put the VAWT, ie, where you live. And then compare with the specs of the UK turbines.

I see you're in Newcastle - the Bureau of Met, or perhaps someone at Uni Newcastle (do they teach any met subjects in Science, or physics, or geography??) might be a place to start. You need to get some general idea of how much wind you get, and when/how often, and if for some reason you think your house is way different from where the BoM recording station is, then maybe you need to get an anemometer, with some way of recording it's measurements, and see whether it's all going to be worthwhile! It's a long time since I've been to Newcastle, but if you're anywhere near a cliff top, facing the ocean, you might get enough wind. If you're inland, down in a ditch, look for some other project, LOL.

If you are a serious DIY person, and can do electronics too, there is a recipe at http://www.infidigm.net/projects/windmeter/
This is Canadian, I think, or US - anyway, it's all in imperial or US units, so you'll need the old tools, or a kid with a calculator to do all the conversions.

Another good-looking site, although again, north american, is: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Wind/wind.htm and have a good rummage!!!!
KarenS
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby EnergyMatters » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:52 am

Further discussion on this topic can be viewed here:

wind-solar-misc/topic338.html
Energy Matters Forum Team

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
EnergyMatters
Site Admin

Return to Solar And Wind Power News