Gu10 Downlights

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Gu10 Downlights

Postby Dan78 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:41 pm

I have a problem with the cheap led globe that I replaced my halogens with a while ago. They are constantly flickering after a while of being on. After reading many a thread on here, obviously the globes are ready for the bin.

What would be the best option for me to do in my situation. I have 20 or so downlights in my room seperated into 3 different switching zones. I was contemplating changing them all to 12 volt downlights and putting led globes in them or changing them all to the correct drivers for the led's. The cost is going to be my biggest issue on this obviously replacing 20 units all at once.I have also noticed that a fair amount of globes for the Gu10s are to long for my fitting. I don't want them hanging out below my ceiling.

The reason behind my thinking about changing the fittings is that I read somewhere that any voltage spike coming through the power supply is what keeps on blowing my 240v globes as there is nothing to stop the spike before it gets to the warm globe, where as the transformer driven globes have the transformer to "absorb" the spike??

Would this be correct?

Which is my best option?

Cheers

Daniel
Dan78
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Gu10 Downlights

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Welcome to the EM forums Daniel :)

Personally speaking, I dislike the lighting effect of downlights and would scrap the lot and replace with 1, 2 or 3 T5 fluoros. There are fittings designed to be recessed into the ceiling so nothing hangs down, and you would save a packet! Of course, that would mean some effort and expense to fill in all the holes in the ceiling...

A transformer wont really absorb a "spike"; there is a direct relationship between the primary and secondary coils, so 20% greater voltage in equals 20% greater voltage out, ignoring load and efficiency issues.

You can fit surge arrestors/power conditioners that do clip off the voltage peaks, and they might be worth looking into if you have a poorly regulated power supply there. You could also complain to your electricity supplier about high voltage, and they may investigate and monitor it to see the extent of the problem.
Do you have a PV system installed?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Dan78 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am

I do have a solar system on the roof. It's a 5kw system.

The removal of the downlights and patching is not really an option as I like the look of the downlights.
Is it better to just put in the 12v transformers or should I just buy the led's with the right drivers.

Cheers
Dan78
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby karlajensen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:26 pm

I got some GU10's on ebay
"5W with brighter than 9W or your money back" or words to that effect
they are 100% great.
get some, they are about $20 a pop and work 100% better than the ones I got 12 months ago at nearly $40 a pop
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Dan78 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Do you have a link to the supplier or a name?

Daniel
Dan78
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby karlajensen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 pm

would you like for me to buy them and send them to you too???
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Dan78 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:20 am

Thanks for the really nice reply. Just asking if you had a link. Probably took you longer to write that sentence than it would have to post a link.

Nice bloke :roll: :roll:
Dan78
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bundaburra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

Have you thought about using GU10 compact fluorescents? If you get 11W ones, which are about the same brightness as a 50W halogen, they will fit nicely into the existing ceiling holes, and if you already have 240V they should connect to the existing fittings. I replaced my horrible 50W halogens with 11W CFLs and they are fine, and look good as well. The only downside is that they take a few seconds to come to full brightness, so they are not practical in a situation where you just want the lights on for a few seconds. In a kitchen or living room, where the lights are turned on and left on for some time, they work well.
Bundaburra
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby MadMax » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 am

Just asking if you had a link.

a quick search on ebay for GU10 yielded the following results:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=GU10&_sacat=See-All-Categories

good luck.

PS: I don't think Karl likes posting links to ebay as they often break/stop working and then people blame him for the bad link, on that note i make no guarantees that the above link will work.
Max S.
Energy Matters Forum Team

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MadMax
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby mconnoll1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 am

Hi,

About 3 months ago I replaced my 30 halogens. I spent around 1 month asking different suppliers questions about differences between the cheap v's expensive ones. I found that "cree" which is an American made is the number one brand and offers average rated lifespan: 50,000 hours under normal usage and are dimmable. They are 9w and 3 x 3. The company I used was here in Australia, http://myworld.ebay.com.au/trailertruckpartsvictoria/. He is on ebay and offers a discount for quantity and will match price. He was the cheapest by 30%.

Good luck
mconnoll
mconnoll1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Energy Efficiency