Glowing Fluro's

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Glowing Fluro's

Postby stevo@regenagr » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:30 pm

When you want to 'keep' the light on when the light switch is turned off, buy some glow in the dark reflective tape and wrap this around your fluros (long ones work best). They will emit light for up to 4 hours, ideally suited to rooms where lights are regularly turned on and off or simply left on.
stevo@regenagr
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Glowing Fluro's

Postby Tracker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:49 pm

stevo@regenagr wrote:When you want to 'keep' the light on when the light switch is turned off, buy some glow in the dark reflective tape and wrap this around your fluros (long ones work best). They will emit light for up to 4 hours, ideally suited to rooms where lights are regularly turned on and off or simply left on.

Interesting idea, but does it not reduce the light intensity, when you need the light fully on?
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Glowing Fluro's

Postby taggertycyclist » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:08 am

What a clever idea!

I know the sort of stuff you mean. There's a certain brand of glow-in-the-dark bedroom accoutrement that works like that.

How about this one...

I drove home last night after a weird trip into Melbourne last night, and all those darned red and white reflectors the road authorities now insist on putting along guard rails and the like, were very bright and mesmerising at the same time (boy, was I tired when I got home).

Anyway, a couple of strips of 3M white reflective tape on either side of fluoro lights (on, say, the light's metal box or on the ceiling) might be enough to increase the light intensity in the room with one instead of two tubes.

It's not something i've actually done, but have thought about.
taggertycyclist
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Return to Energy Efficiency