Got a greywater system?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Got a greywater system?

Postby karlajensen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:58 pm

DIY or full scale

I think this has to be next on the list for this house.
Although the water I use around the place gets a few uses the next owner may not like
carting buckets like I do hence looking around for a decent system that doesnt cost the earth and is simple and robust.
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Got a greywater system?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:50 pm

It will depend somewhat on local council regulations, which are no doubt quite different in suburbia to out here in the sticks ;) Our grey water just goes to a treatment tank from Clivus Multrum, then down the hill through about 30m of 100mm PVC pipe into an absorption trench. From there it is watering the bamboo for now, but we have strategically built a hot house to take advantage of some of the water that goes into the trench.
No pumps required, so no wasted power. Many grey water systems, such as the one our neighbours have, are significant power users, due to various pumps etc, and as best avoided if possible, IMO.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby karlajensen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:26 pm

i've never been particularly concerned about what the council thinks.....
Edwards Solar Hot water

karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby lordelpus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

We have the original grey (and black) water recycling system. Having no mains sewage system here all our waste water goes into septics tanks, then to leach drains and eventually back to the groundwater. Having no mains water here all our water for gardens and house comes from a bore into the same aquifer. We use rainwater for cooking and drinking only. Quite a lot of the older (pre 2000) houses in this area are the same.

No, this is not the back of beyond, we live in the Perth metropolitan area. On the plus side we have brilliant water and sewage rates (zero) :-)
lordelpus
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby karlajensen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 pm

excellent, but doesnt help me much :cry:
Edwards Solar Hot water

karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Sun May 08, 2011 8:59 pm

tapped all the waste water except toilet into a small tank underneath the veranda with sump pump and many taps and black poly hoses to different places in the garden. i am somewhat careful with laundry detergents, use soapy ones, etc and no bleach down the gurgler. seems to work alright and no trees or shrubs seemed to have died since i installed it, about 15 years ago.
it also makes you feel better when using a long shower, because the water is not wasted. the electricity used for the sump pump is about 1 dollar a year. the small tank and pump were about 400 dollars if i remember correctly and a couple of hundred dollars for the pipes and taps. found the plastic taps perish in sunlight, the metal taps do cost only marginally more.
i also feed the first flush of the rainwater harvesting and the air conditioner drips into that system.

i did not consult council or read their regulations about it much, but came across suggestions of watering the untreated grey water subterranean, like underneath mulch or soil.

hope i was of some help to other like minded

greetings urs
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Living Green