Air-conditioning

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Re: Air-conditioning

Postby ulysses2120 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:11 pm

I work as a spark in a manufacturing environment. We have a third level floor that has been known to reach tempratures in excess of 40deg C and people still have to work there. I have had the guys out from coolarado and we are now installing 4 of their units. The demo they showed me was amazing. Clean fresh cool air without the added moisture a swampie produces. Each unit only draws 500W max and we are going to be running grey water through them. Fantastic!!!
ulysses2120
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby munter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Uly - please report back once the units are installed and running. It would be valuable to get some real feedback on the unit's effectiveness.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby terryw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 am

Are you absolutely sure that air conditioning is such a good idea? I think the planet has reached the stage where high energy users, gadgets, machines and luxeries cannot be tolerated anymore. I suggest we work towards refitting our houses and public buildings so that air conditioning is not necessary. Learn to live with the climate rather than trying to change it.
terryw
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby munter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:03 am

Terry - I think people would agree with you that excessive power consumption really must be curbed. In some applications for some reason or another air-conditioning really is required and the units mentioned above appear to be able to condition the air at reasonably low power consumption. I think these sorts of developments should be encouraged so that people who are unwilling to compromise on their personal comfort can do so with minimal environmental impact.

*confession - I have reverse cycle air-con at our house. It doesn't get used when just the family is home but sometimes if we have guests who are less tolerant of heat (elderly grand or great-grandparents) the AC will get a running. Our whole house summer electricity consumption is still only about 6 kWhrs/day though.
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby terryw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 am

mmmm....Thanks munter. I'm very aware that there is a need for air con. sometimes!
For your info though during my time as a school teacher i noticed the changing attitude of children who are now demanding that every day be an airconditioned day. They are not tolerant, not conditioned to a little discomfort, and not aware of the costs of airconditioning. I think this comes about because they are growing up in a society where air con is taken for granted, without question and without understanding of the consequences.
What's worse...is that the parents are often also demanding of the school to have their children sitting in air con all day long.
So something's wrong with that...isn't there?
terryw
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby munter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 am

Yes I agree. I've seen it described as "comfort creep". At first it is a luxury and then you just grow used to having the ability to modify your local environment to make it perfectly comfortable. School kids shouldn't need air con as the previous generations have shown. As you say, awareness of the costs (both financial and environmental) is the key to stopping it.
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:41 pm

ulysses2120 wrote: Each unit only draws 500W max and we are going to be running grey water through them. Fantastic!!!

One thing that I remember from the old Evap Coolers, was the crud buildup in the system after a time.

The concept of "Plastic Coated Paper" would lead me to think that contaminants from the water would be more of an issue, because of the fineness of the whole structure. One thing that I would be even more concerned for, would be the use of Grey-Water.

Still, it's a fascinating device that deserves closer attention. Obviously greater for the inland and less useful at the humid coast, where all swamp-coolers die.
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby 470rigby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:52 pm

ulysses2120 wrote:I work as a spark in a manufacturing environment. We have a third level floor that has been known to reach tempratures in excess of 40deg C and people still have to work there. I have had the guys out from coolarado and we are now installing 4 of their units. The demo they showed me was amazing. Clean fresh cool air without the added moisture a swampie produces. Each unit only draws 500W max and we are going to be running grey water through them. Fantastic!!!

Hi Ulysses,

Did you install the Coolerado A/C's? If so, how do you find them?

Cheers,

470rigby
470rigby
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:23 pm

I emailed the Australian contact for Coolerado a while back, looking for pricing and availability, but never had any response from them... I'm also wondering what the water consumption is going to be like, an important point when the only water available is what falls on the roof.

The main problem I see with them vs an efficient reverse cycle AC for my climate, is that they only cool...you have to use/do something else for winter heating.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby 470rigby » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I'm also wondering what the water consumption is going to be like

I've been quoted 8L/hr for the Coolerdo unit that consumes 600W; both figures being managable for me.

What I like about the concept is that they work on an air displacement principle, with cold (and dry) air being admitted at floor level; hot air being incrementally displaced and discharged through an elevated vent.

Unlike a swampy that is pushing wet air down from the ceiling to a window.

For me, reverse cycle A/C's (even more efficient inverter types) are non-starters because I rarely run the cooling (or heating at maximum) during day when surplus PV output is available, so it would have to run off the batteries after sunset. I simply don't have enough battery capacity.

Leaving aside LPG and Wood heaters, for Winter heating there do not seem to be many options when off-grid!

In Europe, Solar HWS storage is used to run hydronic heating at night, but I can't find anyone here that knows anything about the concept.

Likewise, I considered the use of Heatbanks (remember them?), to "store" energy derived from the PV's during the day, but found the local agents particulary unhelpful in providing technical info.
470rigby
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Efficiency