Solar hot water or heat pump

The greenest watt is the one you don't have to create. Energy efficiency is the low hanging fruit of greening our homes. Ask your questions or post your energy efficiency tips in here!

Solar hot water or heat pump

Postby garymp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi everyone
Just wondering what would be better, solar hot water or a heat pump. I live in Qld.
My roof is facing wsw, would i still get enough heat from the sun to supply hot water- I want to avoid using frames.
To save on cost the heat pump will need to be retro fitted. It is located near a bed room window and in a outdoor area, would noise be a problem.
Any advise would be appreciated.

GP
garymp
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Solar hot water or heat pump

Postby Tracker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:55 am

NOISE is a big problem.. . :? .. .. .. Welcome to the Forums.

Heat pumps (HP) do make a bit of noise and they usually have the dBA (noise Ratings) marked on them.
( Similar to an Air-Cond -- Well, they ARE an Air-Cond of types - They just heat the water not the Air )
MOST - of the normal HP systems are these ones with the mechanics mounted atop the tank.
My opinion - stay away from them.. . The NOISE is then at Window-Height, at fence height etc. etc. right where you or the neighbours, do not want the noise.. If you want to use Off-Peak power, then you need to design for noise abatement.
A HP system with a separate tank and HP will mean greater versatility, and the HP device can be mounted low and away from windows and can be noise-isolated if need be.
Above all - the split system will be more serviceable, as you will not be throwing away the HP when the tank springs a leak.. . :roll:

HP - H.W.Systems can also be used to to cool something. In generating the heat for the Hot-Water, it produces Negative Heat ie COLD AIR that can be used to cool a store room or something else.
I cool a kitchen pantry during summer, but that means running it during the hottest part of the day, which is also the most expensive - electricity cost wise. In Autumn and winter, I will heat the HW in the wee-hours, so that I use the Off-Peak rates.. .
It's all a case of . .. . COST/BENEFIT. .. . ;)

garymp wrote:Just wondering what would be better, solar hot water or a heat pump. I live in Qld.

garymp wrote:My roof is facing wsw

Only one roof face???

Clearly the Solar HWS would be better if in Qld. , and with suitable roof space.
Solar energy is generally (semi) FREE, and with electricity going up and up, running cost is highly significant.
A split Solar HWS will need pumps to circulate the heating.

There are ways that you can reduce the final energy cost of a Solar HWS by limiting how you use any boost functions. You can even go to LPG gas booster, as you will likely only need the boost function on a few days a year.

There are a great many threads about your question. Try using the search function for key words.
PS have a look at... http://forums.energymatters.com.au/wind-solar-misc/topic190.html?sid=2251048b3f706df1eed70f7dc4fd6ae7
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby strjac7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:05 am

Noise is gonna be a big problem man. I had the same issue before and I did choose the heat pump. I put it slightly away from our bedroom but it still made me twist and turn and night due to its annoying sound. If I turn it off, I can't make use of it in the morning. So I suggest you use the Solar ones... Its gonna cost you but at least you get a good night's sleep.
strjac7
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Adam Mack » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Noise was really the big factor why I switched from heat pumps to solars..Though it costs more, it made me a happy camper anyways..
Adam Mack
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby frankjo25 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:26 am

If you do heat pumps make sure that you put them away from your room or create a sound proof cover on it to help (egg cartons would do the trick, just put it all around it)
frankjo25
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby solarsupply » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 pm

how bout this one if he will not use the egg trays maybe this will also help him it will minimize the sound of the heat pump.If the surface that the sound wave hits is relatively smooth, more sound will be reflected than if the surface is rough. For example, more sound will be reflected from a smooth wall made of mud than a pile of dirt. The reason is that the rough or porous surface allows for many internal relfections, resulting in more absorption and less reflection.
solarsupply
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Morricol » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Our Siddons split system hot water is not noisy. Although I do sometimes hear it when it runs, it is not very loud, even standing beside the thing when it is running, it is not noisy. The top mounted compressor units might be noisier, especially if it is near a window, but I just wanted you to know ours isn't.
Morricol
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bazzle » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:40 pm

I have a Dux 300l with 2 panels on the roof.
A great unit.
Im in Melbourne.
I looked at heat pumps and I dont think its fair to have them running at the dead of night.

Bazzle
bazzle
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Return to Energy Efficiency