Handy to know.

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Handy to know.

Postby nmbl3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:48 pm

1 Watts = 1000 kw (kilowatts). Easy to work our your consumption for items by multiplying the kw x your current rate of electricity which is currently about 17 cents per kw.
nmbl3
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Handy to know.

Postby Sandivee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:35 pm

nmbl3 wrote:1 Watts = 1000 kw (kilowatts). Easy to work our your consumption for items by multiplying the kw x your current rate of electricity which is currently about 17 cents per kw.

I think you've got this the wrong way around - 1kW (kilowatt) = 1000 W (watts)

To understand how much energy an appliance uses you look at its power rating (kW) and then times it by how many hours it is used. There are some other factors that affect an appliances power consumption but this is a basic guide.

EG. My TV is 300W - I am running it for 4 hours a day ----> 300W x 4h = 1200Wh or 1.2kWh

You can work out how much electricity you use by doing this and then if you want to know how much it's going to cost you from an electricity retailer simply multiply the amount of kWh used by the rate (approx 20 cents)

EG. 1.2kWh x 20 cents = 24 cents to pay (+ the service charges :evil: )
Australian LED Lighting Solutions
http://www.LightingMatters.com.au
Sandivee
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics