Dealing with ants

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Dealing with ants

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:30 pm

Ants can be a real problem at times. Here's some things you may want to try before reaching for that can of insecticide, depending on the application:

- Pouring lemon juice around areas ants frequent.

- Baking soda can deter ants - pour a solid line in areas of activity and they won't cross it.

- A ring of coffee grounds around sensitive plants can discourage ants.

- A puree blend of orange peel and water can be applied to an area to discourage ants from crossing.

- Ants hate vinegar; so spray it around doorways and other areas they frequent to repel them. A small container of vinegar mixed with honey placed in affected areas appears to do the trick too.

- Pouring boiling water over their tracks (destroys the scent trail).

- Sprinkling a circle of ground cloves around the pet food bowls

- Planting mint around vegetable patches, flower beds and around the house.

- Citrus oil is a good deterrent; it can soaked into a piece of string and place around scent trails.

Have any earth friendly tips for dealing with ants? Please add them to this thread.
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Re: Dealing with ants

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:54 pm

I use a mix of borax, icing sugar or honey and water in around my inverter, chargers etc to kill ants that want to live where the power is. I have had one inverter seriously damaged by ants nesting inside it (over $1000 to have repaired). I just put drops of it around the area on flat surfaces and they eat it.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Joey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:06 am

When we did some remote camping an aboriginal guide told us they urinate on ant nests where they want to keep ants away from. , it even works on the larger soldier ant nests.
Might want to be careful urinating on your inverters though :)
Joey
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby eileen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:18 pm

What a list of things that help. I usually just use the cheapest talcum powder - ants don't like to cross it. After a few days the ants usually have disappeared completely, at which time the powder can simply be cleaned up.
eileen
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green