steam powered subs

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

steam powered subs

Postby jules » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Ok, I know nothing about submarine propulsion but I've always understood that fighter jets and submarines were absolutely top level technology, so much so, that they often don't work BUT lead acid batteries to power a naval submarine fleet instead of Lithium?

How about coal, wood or maybe hydro? There's plenty of water around.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: steam powered subs

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:03 pm

I had to laugh when I saw that on the news!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 pm

you guys got a link or something?
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm

I just saw it on ABC TV news, you could probably find it somewhere in online ABC News.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Warpspeed » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Steam powered subs ?
All the nuclear boats have steam turbines.

The Russians now have a steam powered cruise missile that can go around the entire world at least twice.
It has a tiny fission reactor, a steam turbine, and a propeller. Its slow, but it has unlimited range.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am

Warpspeed wrote:Steam powered subs ?
The Russians now have a steam powered cruise missile that can go around the entire world at least twice.
It has a tiny fission reactor, a steam turbine, and a propeller. Its slow, but it has unlimited range.

Hi Warpspeed :)
Is that the missile that malfunctioned in a big way last week during testing, killed people and caused the Russians to turn off their monitoring systems to stop telling everyone how bad the explosion was !
:o Nuclear explosion, what explosion :shock: :shock:
Jaahn
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/ ... t/11432910
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:20 am

jaahn,
yes it is, you are absolutely correct. i think the russians overreached themselves in technology and speed of developing the thing. there was also a big problem with one of their deep underwater subs. (smoke ....) and a giant ammunition dump blowing up.
this is the problem when dictators try to force the speed of developments .
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am

Ok, let me go back to my original post to provide some clarification ...

The proposal for Australia's "next gen" subs is that they should use lead-acid batteries. Obviously they don't use battery power all the time but apparently when they do, it's in critical situations where they have to be quiet and might need as much power as is possible. Now unfortunately I don't have the plans for the sub in front of me right now but surely you'd think that, for a number of reasons, Lithium batteries would be way superior. I can't suggest a link given the passing of time but there were some suggestions that Lithium batts would be many multiples better than lead-acid and I'm sure most of us here would understand why.

I think there was even some suggestion that upgrading our existing Collins class subs to use Lithium batteries would give a superior sub to the proposed, very expensive, next gen subs.

Personally I reckon we should have a fleet of several hundred very fierce looking fake fibreglass subs prowling around and posing a lot. Nobody would know the difference.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:44 am

submarines use the batteries when they are submerged, not to boost power.
though there is some technology to run ice engine underwater.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Closed cycle internal combustion engines have been around since the 1940,s but are not well known about because the technology is really only useful for military applications, and is therefore fairly restricted.

There are two main applications, extremely high altitude piston engined aircraft, where the air is so thin the oxygen for combustion needs to be carried. The other application is for underwater propulsion, especially for torpedoes that require enormous horsepower to travel as fast as they do, over long distances.
Up until quite recently lead acid batteries were about the only option for torpedoes, except for closed cycle internal combustion engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-independent_propulsion

Both the US and Russia have been working on nuclear fission powered cruise missiles for some time, and both now have working systems deployed. These missiles up until now have been a banned (by treaty) and therefore kept secret. But the cat is now out of the bag so to speak.

If they ever get used, the dispersed radiation from a busted engine will be nothing compared to the thermonuclear warheads they carry. So it probably does not matter all that much.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter