SolarMate space heating

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

SolarMate space heating

Postby JA2340 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm wondering whether there are any other people around with what I consider a "no-brainer" for keeping the house warm in winter.
We have installed two panels of the SolarMate heating units, with their ducting to bedrooms and living areas, and they are just fantastic!
OK, they consume 220V power to run the air pumps, but they operate during the day when our panels are generating, and not at night.
Since we are often out of the house during the day (at work or working on the farm) the place is closed up, and the difference in temps inside is amazing when we get home in the afternoon. Now, if only there was a cooling system that would work during summer (and the blooming warm Autumn we are experiencing right now!) I'd be in heaven!
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: SolarMate space heating

Postby jaahn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi :)
Have you done any reading on passive natural heating and cooling by clever building design. In our climate it is just common sense to use your head and the sun and wind directly instead of energy to make you comfortable.
Retro design of older houses is quite fesable too.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Warpspeed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am

Have to agree, there is much that can be done to trap the low angle winter sun, while creating shade when the sun is much higher in the sky during summer.
Deciduous trees can let the sun through in winter, while providing leafy shade throughout the summer.

And it can all come pretty much for free with zero moving parts or maintenance.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby JA2340 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for those fairly uninformative comments.
Yes, I have done significant research into passive design, and have a West facing verandah 4.5m wide, with roller shutters on the gauze windows.

Being well away from he coast, the experience of coastal dwellers is somewhat irrelevant. Slightly limited as to location of the house by other matters, including the need for space to operate the olive press, we have done what we can. That included the installation of the SolarMate, which neither of you managed to comment on.
I take exception to people failing to make sensible comment on the matter I raised, while pontificating on other matters. I also don't take kindly to people making assumptions about what I have or haven't considered with close to zero knowledge of me, my situation, or my location.

FWIW, our North facing verandah is designed so that the summer sun doesn't intrude, while the winter sun warms the area quite nicely.

Now, if this is seen as "unfriendly", I'll just leave.
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jaahn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:12 am

Hi JA2340 :)
Sorry for being silly enough to think I might have a useful comment. :shock: As I have no experience with the product you used I did not comment on that. And I do live near the coast so according to you I am irrelevant.
However when people come on a forum they seem to think that everybody is there to answer their questions ?? Just waiting for the questions in fact. Hmmmm ???
In fact most people come on to amuse themselves and have a conversation with like minded people interested in the forum topics. If I may help someone as well that might be a bonus. But if they do not like what is said then the answer lies in their fingers :roll:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 am

JA2340 wrote: Now, if only there was a cooling system that would work during summer (and the blooming warm Autumn we are experiencing right now!) I'd be in heaven!

There is! It involves running large pipes deep (~2m or more if you want ~18C air around here) underground and drawing air through them. Of course you need a decent large space to run the pipes, as tens to one hundred+ of meters of pipe is required. 100mm is fine for a parallel many pipe system, or larger sizes for less parallel runs. Solar powered DC fans move the air when the sun/sky is bright enough (add a battery and timer if you want night operation too)

Ideally you need to run a leaky water pipe over the top of the pipes to keep the ground moist in dry periods (like now). Dry earth is a very poor conductor and the cooling ability of the system is diminished if the ground is very dry. Long pipe runs are required to give the system sufficient capacity (ie lots of surface area) to deliver cool air for extended periods- the surrounding earth needs to be able to conduct away the heat from the hot air.

Thought needs to be given to condensation as well. Humid summer air with a dew point of over 20C will cause condensation within the pipes, so drainage needs to be considered, to avoid the growth of mould etc. Laying the pipe on a slight slope with a drain hole and cavity to accept the water at the lower end should take care of that.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby JA2340 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 am

Must admit that I was surprised with your comment, as I have read and understood much of what you write, and appreciate your expertise with what you have. So, to have responded with no knowledge of the product I mentioned, and to then assert that I could design my house properly, was more than a little insulting.

I might mention that I did not say that you were irrelevant, but that your experience was, for my situation.

I also did not ask any questions in my post. Was hoping to have a conversation with people who have installed a SolarMate, and perhaps spread the word about the capabilities of the unit. I am a member of a number of other fora, and have moderated one or two myself, so am mostly aware of what goes on.

Happy to have a conversation about other stuff, but this thread was intended (by me at least) as a way to start the conversation about SolarMate space heating.Also happy to answer questions about other aspects of my setup, but probably not in this thread.
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby JA2340 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:
JA2340 wrote: Now, if only there was a cooling system that would work during summer (and the blooming warm Autumn we are experiencing right now!) I'd be in heaven!

There is! It involves running large pipes deep (~2m or more if you want ~18C air around here) underground and drawing air through them. Of course you need a decent large space to run the pipes, as tens to one hundred+ of meters of pipe is required. 100mm is fine for a parallel many pipe system, or larger sizes for less parallel runs. Solar powered DC fans move the air when the sun/sky is bright enough (add a battery and timer if you want night operation too)

Yeah, did toy with the idea of using the underfloor area with pipes and fans into the rooms, but was unable to proceed with it at the point of construction. Retrofit might work! Currently happy to have the timber floor cooled somewhat by the air below in the cavity. Better than a slab on ground!
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby australsolarier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am

i am from the coast too, so cannot give my 5 cents worth here
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby JA2340 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 pm

australsolarier wrote:i am from the coast too, so cannot give my 5 cents worth here

Why not? Everyone else seems to have a go! ;)

Have just checked, and it is SolaMate, but they no longer manufacture. so all a bit academic, really!
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Off topic chatter