measuring device

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

measuring device

Postby poider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello, I am wondering if there is a device I can buy / make that I can plug into the wall socket/ power point then plug an electrical device into that, so that i can find out exactly how much electricity a device uses in 24 hours?
Peter
poider
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: measuring device

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm

You should be able to find a plug-in energy meter at most electrical stores and many dept stores that sell electrical devices.
They typically show line voltage, current power use, total accumulated energy use since the power point was turned on, power factor, peak power, and duration of running.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby poider » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you Gordon
poider
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Warpspeed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 am

These same highly recommended energy meters are also available on e-bay.
Several different types are available, this is just one example.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Power-Meter-Energy-Monitor-Plug-in-Home-Electricity-KWH-Watt-Volt-Amps-Socket-/282447475451?hash=item41c32e72fb:g:BH4AAOSwJ4hY~zna
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:01 pm

On the topic...
How would I monitor "Off-peak" Hot water, where there doesn't seem to be an outlet point (Hard wired?). Also, would a fridge power consumption be pretty constant/ week, if ambient temp is normal around 22 degrees C.
RegardZ.
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Do you have an off-peak meter in the switchboard? That should tell you the amount of energy used.

Most of the energy consumption of fridges is due to heat gain through the sides and door, so if the outside conditions are fairly constant, the energy usage should be too. If you are adding randomly sized quantities of warm food or drinks, that will vary the energy use from week to week, however, much of what is added is already cold, so it may only be a minor variable.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Warpspeed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Off peak hot water should have a second independent meter, but failing that, your power bill should tell you exactly in both Kwh and dollars.

Biggest heat load on a refrigerator may possibly be opening the door. Every time you do that, the inside floods with warm humid air. One of those power meters will give you an excellent idea. Running power during the day is usually considerably more than running power at night, and most of that difference will be due to repeated door openings.

Once you can do a complete power audit of every appliance in your home, you will find many real surprises.
Its going to be a real eye opener, and very rewarding exercise.
The real energy thieves are not the big items that are only used fairly briefly and intermittently.
Its the small loads that are never switched off or unplugged that are killing you.

A few simple changes can make a very dramatic difference to daily Kwh consumption.

One example.
I bought an energy efficient F&P washing machine, that uses about 50watt hours to do a full load, heavy duty, on fast spin cycle. That is actually pretty good compared to anything else.
But what I discovered after doing a power audit, this F&P draws two watts when turned off.
Not much eh ?. But over 24 Hrs that is the same switched off, as doing a full load of washing every day.
So I now switch the beast off at the power point.

You too are about to make some pretty interesting discoveries.......
And it takes very little to make a pretty big impact once you know what is what.
Its all jolly good fun, and most instructive !
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Warpspeed wrote:Biggest heat load on a refrigerator may possibly be opening the door. Every time you do that, the inside floods with warm humid air.

It's not as much as most people think, unless of course you open it hundreds of times per day, or leave it open for 5 or 10 mins at a time.

I did the thermodynamic calcs some years ago, and from memory, water, which makes up a large part of most things in the fridge, has nearly 4000 times the heat capacity of air. So if you empty say 250l of cold air and replace it with room temperature air, the energy required to bring the temp back down is equivalent to putting 60ml of room temp (say 20C) water in there and cooling it to 4C.

ie, about 1Wh.

The continual heat gain through the cabinet is hugely larger than that.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Warpspeed » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Anything is possible, including leaking door seals in an old refrigerator.

But the final proof is in the monitoring, and the results obtained.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Regarding ~ Check the meter for off-peak hot water consumption
Here are some readings.... Which ones will I take?..
My query is ... What are the following parameters? Any help appreciated on my new meter
01........... Time....
02........... Date
03 Kw E1 E2............. 223.2kW [All readings fictitious]
04 Kw E1 E2..............18.4kW
05 Kw E1..................268.6kW
06 Kw E2 E1.............. 000000kW
07 Kw E3.................. 84.1kW
08 Kw E2.................. 63.8kW
___________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my latest bill....
Home Peak ($0.538/ kWh)
Home shoulder ($0.244/kWh)
Home OFF peak ($0.149/kWh)
Home dedicated circuit (0.1118 kWh) Off-peak Hot water?
Home supply charge (90 days) (98c/day)
Home interval metering (90 days) (29c/day

Solar Buy back (12.5c /kWh) ......... $38.95 Cr
NSW Gov household rebate (90 days) (64.38c /day).......$57.65 Cr (Pension?)
Current Charge.............................$436.95
Total inc GST............................................$483.90

RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Off topic chatter