GAS Fiasco.

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Re: GAS Fiasco.

Postby GarnZ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm

I have just reviewed this old topic to see if I was on the right track or was only over simplifying the problem.
I first have to establish what percentage of Australian Eastern coast states use domestic gas for? When I say "DOMESTIC USE", I'm not talking about manufacturing industries or commercial use (Bakeries, restaurants and the like), I'm talking about householders.

Would I be correct in stating that, the overall gas consumption of all household users would be 25% of the total gas consumed by all gas users from this area.
Would I be correct in saying that most or all householder user do have the option of just using electricity instead of gas!
Appreciating that the overall consumption of electricity would rise marginally if householders did not use gas!.

Isn't there a solution somewhere here? Admittedly, it does put some householders, somewhat put to task, by having their supply of gas cut! .... Seems a small price to pay, to allow us to to meet the shortfall of gas needed for the current foreseeable supply.

RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 am

... but why should Australian domestic gas users pay for a problem caused by federal and state governments having sold out our resources with priority given to export?

We are now watching the big gas energy producers in a pathetic game where they pretend that the only way for there to be enough gas for our needs is for more gas fields to be opened up. On top of this deception there is no guarantee that any gas they might extract will not be exported as is the case now.

There is no gas shortage. There is an allocation problem.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 pm

One of many links on the topic of Aus. gas:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/ ... 53cfca0167

The Conversation
https://theconversation.com/au
backs most of its many articles on energy with facts and figures where others tend to tell us who's winning the tedious and dishonest political battles.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby sulphur1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:24 am

"There is no gas shortage. There is a greed problem!
sulphur1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jules » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Well yes, there is a greed problem but in the sense that the commercial entities involved have a legal responsibility to maximize returns for shareholders, they are doing their job . On the other hand governments of all colours are supposed to represent their voters but first the Howard government, later the Gillard government and now the Turnbull government have been abysmal in their concern for the people who put them into power.

Gas reserves that could have provided a cheap power source for this country for a couple of hundred years, or at least until we can replace them with renewable energy, have been virtually given away with some long term contracts ensuring that other countries are paying less for our gas than we are. A victory for those insidious bastards the lobbyists perhaps but a disgraceful failure for the governments that meekly accepted the deals.

The current suggestion that to solve "our" problem we have to allow the energy companies to open more gas fields and get stuck into fracking is a lie. New gas fields have nothing to do with any short term gas requirements. New gas fields, if they come to pass, will be producing gas that costs more than that we are now extracting from zones like Bass Straight. They are a longer term strategy in the interests of maintaining exports. They do nothing to solve the problem of high gas prices for Australian industry. One can only hope that the "logic" behind the arguments we're being fed by the federal government at the moment will be rejected by the public. In the wake of the "poles and wires" farce and the promise that power prices would fall when the carbon tax was removed let's hope that people have woken up to being lied to and won't let it happen again.

jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Off topic chatter