Todays eclipse

A place to discuss non-renewable energy or green living related topics covered by other categories. Discuss anything you like (within reason) - just play nice y'all y' hear? :)

Todays eclipse

Postby offgridQLD » Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 am

This mornings eclipse max at 8:58Am Brisbane time did anyone see the effects while monitoring there system?

I would think output would drop by 1/3 or more. I think I have to much patchy cloud to notice it in my logs.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Todays eclipse

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri May 10, 2013 8:34 am

I posted some output curves from the last eclipse on here somewhere...off-topic/topic4475.html
It had a very obvious effect, as this one is having!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 am

I just went outside and I can see it. Actually I can briefly view with the naked eye as the cloud cover is so thick its acting as a filter. Took a couple of photos but the I phone cant really handle the exposure that well.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Alex Morrow » Fri May 10, 2013 9:22 am

Well I'll be hornswoggled! I didn't know there was an eclipse today, but I was hanging out washing at about 0850, and I noticed, as one with solar panels does, that the light looked a bit "thin". I had a quick gaze up to see if there was high cloud, but there was no cloud near the sun at all. Now I understand!

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri May 10, 2013 9:37 am

How it appeared from here a short while ago:

Eclipse20130510-800.jpg
Partial Solar Eclipse 9:18am 10/5/2013
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am

WOW Nice shot Gordon :shock: How did you go about taking that pic ?

edit: just noticed you have some of the details on the pic , I take it you have some kind of adaptor then for your SLR and a filter up front?

I have a little USB web cam that I can mount to my Celeston C8 I have tyred it on the moon but I need a filter for the sun to stop it turning into a big solar heat gun :lol: I would love to mount my digital SLR to it but haven't researched deep enough into how best to do it yet.

When I was walking my daughter to school it was perfect timing we had it at its peek and it looked like the pic below. So your pic must have been just a short while after or jut the more south location.

Wasn't there a nice meteor shower a few weeks back during the week? I missed that one.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 pm

That photo was a bit after maximum eclipse, taken through my home made 25cm f/4.1 Newtonian with a Nikon D200 digital SLR, using an adaptor to mount it in the focuser. 1/5000 @ f/4.1 ISO 100 at 9:18am. I used a full aperture filter on the front of the scope.
It isn't as sharp as I would like, but the air was a bit unsteady. The only way to get sharp images in unsteady air is to take dozens to hundreds of images in a short time and combine them- that's often done using frames from a video these days.

Yes the annual eta Aquarid meteor shower was on recently, peaking on May 5/6. I did get up and watched for a little bit but only saw one, before heading back to bed. I've watched them before and they are an OK display, but the Geminids in December ase usually better.

Here's the output from my big array today

Eclipse-output-tracked array.gif
click to de-fuzz
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Sure can see the dip in that graph. ;)

All the rain and cloud spoiled the show where I am. I know doing all kinds of magic with multiple images and processing can do wonders to creating a perfect image but where do you draw the line. l prefer the images to be a little raw as it paints the picture of the true conditions was taken under.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Off topic chatter