Climate change - what to do?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Climate change - what to do?

Postby bpratt » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Great to see you made the effort of bringing that to their attention, even though they've chosen to ignore such a huge promotional benefit from it.

Sad that they've ignored it though.
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GeoffHammond » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 am

Tracker wrote:.

OK - Grasshopper - Here is your challenge.

In 12 months time, I will order the turning off of all Coal-Fired power plants.

Sorry - wrong Grasshopper!

Gordon and I would probably be reasonably comfortable with that... I just need to step up my vegie gardening. :D
GeoffHammond
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:06 am

Yep, sounds like a good idea to me... I've managed without mains power since 1991 :)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby davidh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:22 am

GeoffHammond wrote:
I think the core resolution lies in the number of people inhabiting the planet and the way they choose to live.

... we *are* over-fishing the seas. We *are* sending species to extinction ... We *are* going to run out of fossil fuels. We *are* creating and setting free compounds that are toxic. Will any of those ... things lead to the mass extinction of humans? Unlikely. Will it see some people die and some more people experience a changed circumstance? Probably. Meanwhile, we have the majority of the earth's human population facing more immediate threat to their existence: poverty. The people who will suffer most are those who can afford to change the least. ...

Geoff's Solution #1 is to determine a maximum carrying capacity for the planet and a sustainable human lifestyle, then implement both. Forcefully and without mercy.

Not gunna happen, is it?

Geoff's Solution #2 is to rearrange the world's economy - which drives pretty much everything these days - such that the effects of waste and greed are removed and the gains redistributed fairly. Meanwhile, social and political structures are rejiggered such that humans become content with enough for their needs, rather than feeling empty while surrounded by more than they could actually ever really want.

Geoff's Solution #1 now looks a bit more achievable...

I'm doing a subset of what I can. I've adopted a less consumptive lifestyle and am getting by with (somewhat) less. ...

... If the climate change science is correct ..., by the time people feel motivated to change, it will be too late.

Geoff, sorry I edited your comments in this quote, but I think the point remains clear ... a friend pointed out a very interesting piece of computer modelling and prediction of things to come from the early-1970's to me the other day ... what was the most interesting was that someone had bothered to fit the observed data to the models, to see which model worked best.

Here's the reference for the article:

Turner, G. (2008) A comparison of The Limits to Growth with 30 years of reality. Global Environmental Change, 18, 397– 411.

** Here's the URL for that article: fixed the link now ...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 41959caf36

What the best fitting model suggests is that if we continue as we are, we will have a big dive in population in the mid 21st century (about 2050), and complete change in how economies work as a consequence. So whether or not climate change is human caused, we are going to cause a massive change in how we live, simply by continuing to pillage the planets resources in the way that we are at present. Unless, of course, we manage to have the courage to vote in some politicians who will do something about it.

Cheers, David
Last edited by davidh on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidh
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby GeoffHammond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:32 am

Here's a better link, in that it works for me (at least):

http://www.csiro.au/files/files/plje.pdf
GeoffHammond
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:01 am

Dr James Hansen is speaking in Adelaide tonight and one of his proposals is:

You collect a fee at the mine or the wellhead or the port of entry, and then you distribute that money to the public as a green cheque or an income tax reduction," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ion=justin

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.. I couldn't see this working, could you? I could see the savings/payouts going towards just maintaining the status quo otherwise.

I think a carbon tax has its merits, but only if the resulting revenue is directly funneled towards (properly administered) renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives. It would provide a more orderly transition away from fossil fuels and energy guzzlers in my opinion - whether it would be fast enough is another matter.
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby davidh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 am

GeoffHammond wrote:Here's a better link, in that it works for me (at least):

http://www.csiro.au/files/files/plje.pdf

Thanks Geoff, I've fixed the link to the original article ... sorry about that.

Cheers, David
davidh
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby davidh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 am

MichaelB wrote:Dr James Hansen is speaking in Adelaide tonight and one of his proposals is:

You collect a fee at the mine or the wellhead or the port of entry, and then you distribute that money to the public as a green cheque or an income tax reduction," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ion=justin

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.. I couldn't see this working, could you? I could see the savings/payouts going towards just maintaining the status quo otherwise.

I think a carbon tax has its merits, but only if the resulting revenue is directly funneled towards (properly administered) renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives. It would provide a more orderly transition away from fossil fuels and energy guzzlers in my opinion - whether it would be fast enough is another matter.

Michael

It seems to me that the minumum set price of $40 from 1st Jan 2011 for a REC is a good idea, but a bit late in implementation. I don't quite understand how REC's work, but I think it is something like a certificate that energy companies have to buy a minimum amount of if they want to continue selling energy. Is that right? If so, why not do this for all companies that supply any type of fossil fuel. If they want to continue to sell coal, oil and gas to run cars, trucks & industry, then they have to buy REC's at a certain starting %, and increasing per year there after. That way, the cost of fossil fuel energy sources goes up, and at the same time the incentives for people investing in renewable energy goes up, because REC's will continue to increase in value. In the end, renewables are subsidised by fossil fuels, until a point where it no longer matters, at which time we have all the new tech in place, and a transformation in the economy ... or am I just dreaming ???

Cheers, David
davidh
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby GeoffHammond » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 pm

davidh wrote: ... or am I just dreaming ???

Yep. ;)
GeoffHammond
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby BarKing » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 am

Need to get the politics out of carbon taxes. Suggest that a independent body is set up to set the level of carbon tax. This body's sole function would be to decrease carbon release along a predetermined decrease projection. Would work similar to the reserve bank in the setting of interest rates (this process was set up to take the politics out of interest rates - the pollies can now blame the reserve bank for the increases interest rates and not suffer the political pain of having to put up interest rates themselves). Each year the independent body would review how country was going against the projection and then set the level of carbon tax for the next year and a statement on likely future years rates - to keep the country on track. (Ideally it would be nice to give them control of GST levels so these two consumption type taxes could be balanced out against each other - carbon taxes up, GST down, revenue neutral. But that would probably be too difficult to implement.)
BarKing
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Living Green