Trying to convert to hybrid

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Trying to convert to hybrid

Postby justalandwalker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 am

Hi,

I've read some great articles online about using hybrid system with solar panels etc from ezine articles. I've found some guide materials online to build my own solar panels and it seems like a good bet, though I haven't bought it yet. But is it really doable and will hybrid system reduce my monthly bills?

The guide I got my eyes on is from http://www.enhancegreenenergy.com/makinghomesolarandwindpower. I'm totally new and I seem to be in doubt whether to go ahead and try this product or not. Any views or suggestions?

Thanks
justalandwalker
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Trying to convert to hybrid

Postby Tracker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi and welcome to the world of Solar...

Whilst I applaud your interest in the subject, I really don't think that there is any value in DIY solar panels, when they can be purchased for under $4.50 a Watt. I think that I previously calculated that you could not buy the individual cells, for that price.. ( See Oatley Electronics ) Let alone encapsulate and protect them such that they give a good life..

Even Wind Generators, are hardly worth the effort , when JayCar can supply them as a Kit.

The most important thought for you, is HOW, you see you will help the Monthly Power Bill.

If you hope to generate 240Volts, then that needs fully approved parts and you could get into hot water if something goes wrong.

If you only want to charge some batteries and run some LED lights, then go for it.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Living Green