Product Review - Wattson

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Product Review - Wattson

Postby strjac7 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:07 am

I appreciate the review. This could help other product buyers choose the best one for their desks. I myself started using Wattson's since year 2009 and I have never been disappointed with its quality. It assures to be a really great brand that can answer your needs.
strjac7
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby rg767 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 am

The 4th input from the inverter can be useful also, but I would agree that more should be done with this data in the software, as there is no accumulated import/export/generation line available on the graphing.

Its a reasonable piece of gear, although I find the "shake to change modes" functionality a little lame.
rg767
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bazzle » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:15 am

Nice vid here of the unit working.
Shows solar offset too :)

http://www.multipoweredproducts.com.au/ ... eter.html#

Bazzle
bazzle
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby bazzle » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Liked what I saw so I went out and bought one :)
Got the extra sensor for the solar feed.
Works well ;)

Bazzle
bazzle
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby badger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:46 am

We have been using wattson for a while now and the unit itself does a good job overall although our generated power readings differ quite a bit from the inverter display. Holmes is very buggy though and especially so on a mac.There is a better software program for wattson - powometer - but the mac version seems to have vanished from the net. Holmes refuses to input the renewables cost, readings and time zones are incorrect, and overall its a poor program with next to no support on the Kyoto site. Its a pity that the software doesnt match the unit!
badger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bazzle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up to Powometer.
http://www.myenergyusage.org/ScreenShots/
I have downloaded and will give it a try on XP :)
(On that site under support it mentions a Linux version that works on a Mac) ;)

Bazzle
bazzle
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby zzsstt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:05 pm

I've not used Powometer. But once again, from a quick look at the web site it seems to focus on publishing data to the web to share and compare with other people. Why? Who the hell cares whether they use more or less power than somebody else? Somebody living in a newly built apartment in a temperate climate is bound to use less power than someone living in an historic mansion in an extreme climate. What is the fascination with sharing data via Twitter and iPhone apps? As I commented earlier in the thread, the whole "green" thing seems to be just another way of being flash - saving energy doesn't matter as long as we impress our friends!

Hopefully Powometer, as well as publishing data to every social network in existence, will actually allow some sensible investigation of energy consumption and generation.....

Let me know when you've checked it out!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bazzle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm

You dont have to publish the data. I have chosen not to..Im just using it as a tool to collect my personal data.
If you want to there is a whole 'Group" on Whirlpool who do nothing but. Im on your side :shock:

Bazzle
bazzle
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby badger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Bazzle I hope you find powometer useful. Zzsstt it's not about publishing data! Powometer is just a better tracking system than Holmes. Like Bazzle, I do want to keep track of what we are using and generating as it wasn't a particularly inexpensive purchase!!

Yes the site does mention a linux version, but the link is inactive sadly!
badger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby zzsstt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 am

badger wrote:Zzsstt it's not about publishing data!

I went to the website and looked briefly at it. There are a couple of screenshots of Powometer, and then a bunch of stuff about publishing data to the web. I went to the blog, I scrolled down a couple of screens and everything mentioned is about publishing data to the web and/or comparing it to other peoples. The recent updates, work in progress and "still to come" items are all about publishing data to the web, comparing it to others and similar functions.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if people want to publish their electricity usae on the web - though for the life of me I don't know why they would - but it seems to be that this is the priority, rather than a nice to have.

Of course it may be the Powometer already does everything else, so the developers have nowhere else to go. That certainly wasn't the case with Holmes, the software was very basic and left a lot to be desired, yet their priorites lay in "mobile devices" and web publishing.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but it seems to me that leaving a computer running 24/7 so that the world (and the owner) can see real time energy consumption figures is a tad counterproductive....
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Living Green