Pool chlorination

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Pool chlorination

Postby jonjag » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 pm

G'Day All,
Has anyone tried using panels to chlorinate (partially at least) a salt water pool? The existing 25 year old chlorinator (transformer shorted and took both clock and AC/DC rectifier with it) failed and of course bits for old unit no longer available so bought a new one with more useful features. I have the old still functioning titanium cell and also have a small fold up set of PV panels that charge our camper battery (they sit around doing nothing while we are at home). What damage could occur to panels if connected to the the titanium cell that is then immersed in the pool, I have not tried to measure the resistance across plates while immersed. Basically asking for any experiences that will help me avoid mistakes.
Cheers, John
jonjag
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Pool chlorination

Postby Tracker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm

jonjag wrote:What damage could occur to panels if connected to the the titanium cell that is then immersed in the pool,

NONE -- :idea: -- You can normally SHORT panels and it will do nothing..
There is no practical reason why you could not replace the DC source with Solar Power.
The first thing would be to actually measure the voltage at the chlorinator..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Pool chlorination

Postby jonjag » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:05 pm

G'Day Tracker,
The defunct tranny was labelled 9V AC out, presume was some loss in diode rectifier, the swinging needle ammeter on DC output used to read about 9A when unit was running. On the new replacement unit I have not looked inside but the cell that goes in water has a very different plate structure. Spec sheet of new unit suggests output is 24V DC. The digital output display on new unit oscillates a little round 100 when running but no indication of what is being measured. The way instructions are written suggest this is %age of it's normal operating output. I would suspect my panels will not produce a sufficient current but will suck it and see, old analogue ammeter still works. I was hoping someone had already tried this experiment. Will let you know outcome when I get around to it.
Cheers, John
jonjag
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green