Renovating and new lights.

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Renovating and new lights.

Postby keanw141175 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Good Afternoon all,
I have been on this forum for a while and others and am getting right into the greener way of life (if only I could get the missus to switch lights off).

At the moment I have installed on the roof, an Apricus 30 tube HWS for water and 4kw solar panels for electricity. We are now about to renovate and where I live there is no on-line gas so we have a wood heater.
I am replacing our Ultimate wood fire place with a brand called the Nectre Mega with full wetback which will heat our HWS over the winter months. Also heating up our new Hydronics with the two radiators, one in each of the kids rooms and a towel rail heater in their new bathroom.

Now the question I have for you fellow greenies as such, what are the best lights to fit in a large kitchen, small bathroom, toilet, laundry, two bedrooms and deck area which will have a roof over it.

I do love my LED’s as I work in the Caravan Industry but I also do not have a wallet as a wheel chock, if you catch my drift.

I would just like to here your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Kean.
keanw141175
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Renovating and new lights.

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi Kean, I reckon the 36W T8 flouros are good for kitchens, they dont produce harsh shadows since they are an extended light source, I use them in my kitchen.

For bedrooms, verandas etc where shadows are not going to be so much of a worry, 15-20W LEDs, whilst more expensive than compact fluoros, are a better choice environmentally and practically I think. They take minimal time to be at full brightness, and dont fade to dim yellow like compact fluoros tend to do well before their expected expiry date.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Quokka2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 am

We recently replaced the 21 power-guzzling GU10 halogens in our holiday flat with 9W (3x3W) LEDs which, however have a narrower beam and don't give as uniform lighting effect. We also bought one of those multiple LED lights from Bunnings which at only 4W was not as bright but more uniform.

A major problem we encountered was that one bulb failed. This should be no problem when you have 20 others, right? Wrong! Your incandescent, halogen or CF just dies quietly, but this little bugger arced internally, taking the whole circuit out and plunging the flat into total darkness. We could only identify the problem bulb by (a) Turning on the power back on and listening for where the crack came from as it tripped out again, or (b) Taking all the bulbs out, turning the power back on and putting them back one by one until it tripped out again. The culprit bulb showed no hint of any damage externally.

I wonder how many others have had this experience; if any have had this problem with CF lights or if anyone has had LED lights which died without all the drama?
Quokka2
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bundaburra » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 pm

I have a mix of GU10 LEDs and globe replacement LEDs, and have never had the problem described, but thanks for the warning! I guess some brands are more reliable than others? We replaced our GU10 halogens initially with CFL equivalents, but found these to be unsatisfactory because of the time it took them to come to full brightness and so replaced them with the LEDs. Nowadays the LED downlights are no more expensive than the CFL version.

The 36W flouro would be fine for a kitchen area, and there may be other areas of the house where LEDs would not be appropriate, but for general lighting I would recommend LEDs wherever possible. AS well as downlights, they are available now in various standard fittings (BC, SBC, ES, SES) and wattages, and although these are more expensive than equivalent CFLs, they are actually cheaper now than CFLs were when they first came out, and no doubt will become even cheaper over time. Advantages of LEDs over CFLs: full brightness at once; much longer life expectancy (crook ones excepted, I suppose); contain no mercury, so disposal of dead ones is not such a problem; and (in my experience anyway) are more efficient. For example, I had a lamp with an eight watt CFL in it (ordinary BC fitting); I replaced this with a four watt LED globe, and the lamp seems to be just as bright as before. Another lamp had an 11 watt CFL, replaced by a 6 watt LED, same result. My best effort was replacing the lights in a rangehood over the stove. Two 40 watt halogen downlights (which came with the rangehood) were replaced by two five watt LEDs of a slightly different design, resulting not only in a much better light on the stovetop, but also much more light extending out into the kitchen area.
Bundaburra
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby carbon cheater » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Kean,

your question about the best LED lights to put in kitchen, bathroom....... if only the answer could be given in two lines and not two pages......

Lots of the usual dodgy LEDs are being sold even cheaper than usual at the moment. The grace period of old C-tick standards finish up in early 2013, so manufacturers and suppliers are quickly and cheaply selling off a lot of rubbish that intereferes with TV and radio. You get what you pay for in this industry, but then again light retailers sell low quality leds at very high prices, but I suggest ceiling downlights - low voltage ceiling downlight assembly (about 900 lumen), I have just put them through my place, best option. Ignore the x W rating as sent in other posts, its how many lumens you get per watt that is important. many suppliers are selling as 10W to replace 50W halogens, but the reality is some are barely 200 lumens whereas halogens are closer to 1100! a replacement yes, but a disappointing one.
carbon cheater
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Living Green