Letter from AGL NSW

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Letter from AGL NSW

Postby bpratt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Tracker wrote:and I just got my "Update" from AGL.

PEAK....... 52.547
Shoulder....21.340
OP...........13.090
Supply.......82.170

Holy crap! .... too bad if you're living/working at home during the day.

Currently tariff 11 here is costing me 25.378 c/kWh with a supply charge of 28.787 c/day.

Off peak (tariff 33) is 17.1545 c/kWh.
(from http://www.originenergy.com.au/2087/Electricity-tariffs-QLD )

Why would anyone want to go to TOU tariffs ? :P
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm

BUT - At this time, FIXED is not available, but may be soon.

Even then - what are the FIXED rates.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby bpratt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:56 pm

It's the supply charge on your 'offer', that really sucks... more than 50c per day more than what I pay.... the usual 90 days that you get billed for is going to cost you around $74, whereas for me it's going to be around $26... that's a massive amount for really nothing more than what I'm getting.

Certainly making the off-grid option much more tempting as the years go by.... roll on the lithium batteries !!
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Inspector » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

I am shocked (pun intended) at the variances in "service charges" from different retailers. What's worse, is that the same retailer will charge you a very different "service charge" depending on what tariff you are on - which in my opinion is daylight robbery; the tariff should have no impact on the ability to provide the service of electricity. The only "catch" I can think of is that TOU may be charged a higher "service charge" due to the supposedly higher costs of processing TOU data and billing. But for TruEnergy, their "service charge is substantially higher if the customer is on a "flat rate" tarif - something which I am sure has changed in the last couple of years. I remember the "service charge" when I was on "flat rate" was alot cheaper than when I was considering solar which would've resulted in me defaulting to "TOU" rate. Of course prices have changed alot since then. For the first few TOU bills I calculated what I would've been charged if I was still on "flat rate" and it worked out TOU was about $50/bill cheaper. I reckon if I worked out my most recent bill, I'd be $100 or more better-off with TOU than flat rate.
Inspector
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 am

The NSW Govt. "Required" that retailers pay GFIT customers 7.7c as their contribution to the 60c GFIT.
Immediately, AGL stopped paying the premium of 6c, giving a total of 66c for GFIT.

Would you think for a second or ten, that the 7.7c has now been added to the basic GFIT TOU tariffs...?

IT SOooo STINX... :(

An Aside - Have you seen the price for LPG.. No more discounts or cycles.. Stabilised at 69.9c for weeks and now jumped to 79.9.. Asking the station owner "Wotz Happening" and he says to expect it to go to $1 by Christmas.
"WHY" - and he says - 'Because of European Winter, and heating'

So this is showing that ANY energy is a trade-able commodity on the world market.. The stupidity is that LPG is easily shipped, but you can't ship electricity, other than as COAL and WE are supposed to be phasing out COAL power.. How can we compete when the world is prepared to pay so much for LPG...

BTW - Don't forget that AGL are offering ME a 7% discount because I am a SOLAR bludger..
They also offer a 14% discount and more, to normal accounts.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 am

It sounds like your move to set up an off-grid system is the way to go once the GFIT is finished, especially if you ditch gas altogether and use your own energy generation for cooking and heating!

It's not just LPG, the world (well, China and India mostly) is prepared to pay a lot for coal too! No private company was willing to provide coal at the price the govt wanted when existing supply contracts end, so they bought their own coal mine and will sell coal to the electricity generators for near $100/ton less than private companies can get for exported coal. That is a HUGE subsidy, billions of dollars, by the taxayers for coal-fired electricity.
See here for more on that:
http://www.climatespectator.com.au/comm ... dy-scandal
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

IS there any wonder , we are so P'eed of with Governments.

The Shock-Jocks (I luv em..) were commenting how China is setting up guaranteed food supply, by buying up the better farming lands around Australia..
Soon, they will own the coal mines and we will pay WORLD rates for any coal we want, whilst they export it to China at cost price.
Soon, we will be importing dairy and foods, because the Prime lands will be producing food for overseas.
Soon, our water supplies will be contaminated by CSG by-products, whilst the gas itself will be shipped to China and India..

How does the old-girl, next door get on when her power bill arrives.. I am special.. I am lucky.. I can DIY alternative power at an affordable cost.. What will she do.. :?:

Is AGL singling ME out.. Well not really, as the rates on their site seem to reflect that these rates are the ambit-rates and then the discounts are applied to USAGE.. I REPEAT -- USAGE..
So, as already suggested, they soon won't care how much power I consume, and they will likely prefer if I use none at all, as it saves the complication of them sourcing the supply from the National Grid.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:so they bought their own coal mine and will sell coal to the electricity generators for near $100/ton less than private companies can get for exported coal. That is a HUGE subsidy, billions of dollars, by the taxayers for coal-fired electricity.

I don't have time to read the link at the moment, but selling at less than the market price does not always constitute subsidy, depending on your definition of "subsidy". If one producer has a low cost of production, or is happy to make a lower profit (or in the case of a government, no profit at all) then they can sell at a lower price. In the case of a government operation, if this can be achieved with no external funding, such that it covers it's own costs, then it is a "subsidy" only if you include the loss of potential profit - it is not costing the taxpayer anything per se, it is simply operating outside the commercial realm and therefore removing the need to turn a huge profit.

This is also, to a large extent, why the price of electricity has jumped recently - private companies need to make a large profit and if the selling price (under a government run agency) was 1:1 matched to costs, then under private ownership the selling price has to rise massively to make the required GP. Coal is no different, under private ownership a mine will need to charge far more because it needs to keep the shareholders and highly paid executives happy.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 pm

zzsstt wrote:Coal is no different, under private ownership a mine will need to charge far more because it needs to keep the shareholders and highly paid executives happy.

BUT - what would be the situation if the OWNER way the Chinese Government.. even via a ghost owner.. ;)
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am

AGL_FixedRates.jpg
AGL_FixedRates.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 5575 times

Just noticed this, as a basis for fixed rates..

I do like the last sentence - ensuring that you pay the max. in high usage quarters..?

Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Living Green