24/7 fly spray??

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

24/7 fly spray??

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm all for the insecticide companies using greener ingredients such as pyrethrins instead of pyrethroids, but an automatic fly spray that pumps insecticide into a room whether it's needed or not?:

http://www.mortein.com.au/product_nat_auto_ind_ins.php

http://www.scjohnson.com.au/products/ra ... omatic.htm

.. what are your thoughts?
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Re: 24/7 fly spray??

Postby relaxedcamper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Ummm... Perhaps we should leave the lights on all the time just in case we enter that room also.

The 24/7 spray sounds like a great way of slowely killing your self and friends. Research will show what short term exposure to therapy dose levels of spray will do, though wonder what the long term results will be of constant background exposure. Any one with half a brain wouldn't think that these things would be a good thing to place around yourself and family????
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:01 pm

relaxedcamper wrote: Any one with half a brain wouldn't think that these things would be a good thing to place around yourself and family????

Thats the problem, these things are thought up by marketing people! :roll: The first time I heard about that stuff, I knew it was an insane thing to do.
We dont use any fly/insect sprays at all here, but I have devised my own fly control methods, and use for the DFE (dead fly extract ) that is collected.
Use old 2l juice bottles, cut a couple of small flaps near the top, but on the same side so you can still pour the contents out of the usual spout. Put in some meat/fish scraps/ or other fly attracting food and a bit of water, and hang it outside in a tree. After a while flies go in, get stuck, and die, and that soon starts to smell, attracting more flies. Before you know it, the 2l container is half full of dead flies. Out here with neighbours who have sheep and cattle, the flies can be a big problem in Spring- I have nearly filled several 20l detergent containers (from cafes: saves them going to landfill) with dead flies in a couple of months in years past. ITs best to place a number of these traps around the periphery of the area you want to be fly-free.
When full, add the contents to more water and leave it in enclosed containers in the sun to brew up nicely... then dilute it a bit more and use as liquid fertiliser! I once had 1300 passionfruit from 2 vines, fertilised solely with my DFE :D
Yes it smells, so dont put them too close to the house, but it is all natural, and it removes literally millions of annoying flies.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby taggertycyclist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:02 pm

I first came across the automatic fly spray dispenser at a community Christmas barbecue in my local town last year. This thing was merrily squirting away on the corner of the table where the bread and snags were being served. I was a reluctant patron, but the snag was free and I had just ridden 10km by bicycle to get there.

Thanks for the tip on the fly trap, Gordon. I live in a very similar environment, with some 100 black cows and calves as immediate neighbours. The main entry point for flies at present is the chimney. I need to put some flyscreen across the top to keep out the flies (but it will also serve double duty as a spark arrestor). For some odd reason, the sill on our kitchen window seems to be the fly cemetery... two days, and there will be around 30 bodies lying there.

We also have a fly swatter on standby.

Mosquitoes are our next challenge. A pond about 40 metres from the house (to refresh the cattle) means some big mossies are out and about now. The mosquito net will be going up over the bed soon. Plus some flyscreen across the overflows from our water tanks needs to be put in place.
taggertycyclist
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:00 am

Just noticed this thread -

I too like Gordon's idea.. The Blowies are on the march now and the flies will likely follow.
Am hearing the old Croakers in the trees for the first time in some years. Summer is here !

As for those stupid Auto-Sprayers, I could not see how they would actually work..
Pure Luck, that the fly happened to be passing at the time ???
OR - Spray so often,
that spray droplets were constantly in the air.

AND people blame everyone else for their children's allergies and asthma etc.

So wipe all the germs away, sterilise everything and then spray synthetic chemicals over everything and everyone ..?

I might get some of that Tritium stuff that Gyro was looking for.. Spray that around and the Flies will glow in the dark.. Might save on Lighting Costs
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby munter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:56 am

I find these products repulsive. Not only is the need for such a product manufactured by marketers but the built in consumption rate is sure to require any sucker who buys one to continue buying cans of the fly spray because the keep running out. It is such an obvious example of the fear driven (arrghh - flies!) approach to consumer manipulation. SC Johnson should be ashamed of themselves for bringing such a product to market. :|
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby relaxedcamper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:11 pm

Tracker wrote:AND people blame everyone else for their children's allergies and asthma etc.

Oh but they didn't get it from the flies!!!!! :D

Hopefully people will question the long term effects of this low dose background spraying and decide not to purchase these types of products. Sadly, people just believe that if it is on the shelves of the supermarkets it must be ok, and anything that saves you some time is a good thing.....isn't it?.
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Use old 2l juice bottles, cut a couple of small flaps near the top, but on the same side so you can still pour the contents out of the usual spout. Put in some meat/fish scraps/ or other fly attracting food and a bit of water, and hang it outside in a tree. After a while flies go in, get stuck, and die, and that soon starts to smell, attracting more flies. Before you know it, the 2l container is half full of dead flies. Out here with neighbours who have sheep and cattle, the flies can be a big problem in Spring- I have nearly filled several 20l detergent containers

Hi Gordon,

Would it be possible to have a picture of the flaps you made please.

Had an attempt to make something like you mentioned but they were not successful, and yes we have plenty of flies around.

Regards.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Joey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Bthree wrote:
Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Use old 2l juice bottles, cut a couple of small flaps near the top, but on the same side so you can still pour the contents out of the usual spout. Put in some meat/fish scraps/ or other fly attracting food and a bit of water, and hang it outside in a tree. After a while flies go in, get stuck, and die, and that soon starts to smell, attracting more flies. Before you know it, the 2l container is half full of dead flies. Out here with neighbours who have sheep and cattle, the flies can be a big problem in Spring- I have nearly filled several 20l detergent containers

Hi Gordon,

Would it be possible to have a picture of the flaps you made please.

Had an attempt to make something like you mentioned but they were not successful, and yes we have plenty of flies around.

Regards.

You can just use any container with a plastic lid and put a hole in the top big enough to put your little finger in , no flaps are needed because once flies enter the container they cant fly straight up , they only fly towards the sides and back down again.
We have been using this method for years and have always been amazed how they can just crawl into an open hole but never find their way again.
Joey
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Bthree wrote:Would it be possible to have a picture of the flaps you made please.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Living Green