Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

Postby jaahn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:15 am

Hi,
We are considering a new stove. We live in town and on the grid and on the town gas. I was interested in the comparison between an electric stove, a gas stove, and a gas top/electric oven.

Has anyone any direct experience with this or any comments. :roll: Cost comparisons ? Energy comparisons ? CO2 comparisions ?

Cheers John
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

Postby lantern » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 am

I know I much prefer cooking with gas. Can't give you any numbers though as I only ever had bottled gas.
But I'm sure it has to be heaps cheaper.
lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:38 am

I also prefer cooking on gas, rather than an electric hot plate- the gas is much more controllable as you can adjust it to exactly where you want it. Electric hot plates are on-off-on-off all the time and are more likely to burn whatever you are cooking, in my experience. That said, I do have an induction hob that works very nicely, although it too suffers the on-off-on-off electric mode of operation, but it is somewhat moderated by the use of cast iron and heavy bottomed SS induction cookware. It is certainly more efficient/faster than using gas, see: energy-efficiency/topic2540.html

Since all my power comes from solar and wind, and I'm not connected to the grid, any use of the induction cooktop or benchtop electric oven results in no CO2 being released, unlike when I cook on the gas burners, which I do when the batteries are down a bit.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:19 am

lantern wrote:I know I much prefer cooking with gas. Can't give you any numbers though as I only ever had bottled gas.
But I'm sure it has to be heaps cheaper.

Hmmm,
I think the gas retailers make sure it is not "heaps cheaper". If it was then they will sell it OS. Thanks for the feed back. The comparison of the heating the cup of water was instructive.

Yes we did like the gas in previous houses. We currently have 'radiant' hobs on the stove which are very good. No time to heat up and no mass either. The on-off switching is no problem. Easy to set as you want. The top is flat glass so its easy to maintain. However its old now and needs some fixing.

As we have gad available we will consider it but there is not much comparison information available. I suspect the gas 'wastes' more of the energy and heats the room more. We use some thick bottom pans etc and perhaps some new ones there may help if the bottom is more conductive.
Cheers John
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby superman1 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Yes I have a ceramic cook top like that and heats up almost instantly. Love it.

Gas...gosh where do I start?

1) I don't know if all gas tops are like the new one I had in my old rental place. It was a budget one. It had 3 settings. High, or medium, off. I had to stick my head down and turn it beyond its range just to get a low flame, which then goes out if you go too far - there are no markers there - or blows out with wind.
(Simmering with lids on increases effeciency.) :geek:
Electric has the full control 1 to 10. Lovely. :idea:
You have no control with gas. :mrgreen: (Maybe I am the only person on earth who wants the low settings as much as possible.

2) Spindly little tops, instead of a solid surface, where the saucepan can fall down a crack, especially a small pan.

3) The rampant fear of blowing up suddenly. :shock: Much worse than electrocution and is more likely, in your mind.

Kills me all chefs love the primitive way. Oh well.
So why would you use gas? Apparently a bit cheaper, and it turns on instantly. And is harder to clean.
But as you said and I never thought of before, direct contact with the heat is sweet as a kiss :o, with the unfactored-in efficiency of complete control.
superman1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bpratt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 am

Not all gas cooktops are as useless as the one you've experienced.

I'm no chef at all, but there must be something in it for them to demand gas cooking.

The instant heat and controllability of gas over electric is what wins people over.

I don't have gas here, and mum can't stand the thought of gas because of the paranoia of 'explosions', etc.

The electric inductive stoves are the only ones that give you some real control over cooking, and are effectively instant heat, but you need special saucepans and pots for them.

So for me looking at moving house, and one had gas and the other electric induction, I'd be looking at other features of the house to make my decision. :) of course if it was gas over standard electric, the gas would add a bonus point. ;)
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 pm

I agree with the points made about gas cook-tops having 3 setting off medium high. I haven't used electric since I was a child and my parents had the all electric oven-cook top but don't see what all the fuss is about with gas cooking at home. Now I do think there is a huge different from a commercial gas cooker and a domestic gas cooker.They have a different criteria, and there hobs are a different beast altogether.My wife's parents own and run a Chinese restaurant and the burners in the kitchen are HUGE! just not practical to do that with electricity especially with the shape of a wok.

We have a gas oven and cook top that came with our new house and I don't like it at all. Its not cheep and nasty its actually a very expensive free standing unit with all the bells and whistles. Like all gas cook tops I find I have less control of incremental settings for the cook top burners. The oven takes for ever to warm up and the heat variation from top to bottom is significant. I'm never sure what temp to set it at 180deg isn't like 180 deg on a electric :? . Another crazy thing on new gas cookers is you have to hold the button in for 10 - 15 seconds before letting go or the flame will go out (some new safety regulation) frustrating.

Anyhow I have lived with gas cook tops for long time now and just learn to live with it. With the oven though its always nice to go back to the fan forced electric oven in our city house . Very Fast to heat up and holds set temperature very well and in all sections of the oven. Though the cook top there is gas to .

I haven't tried induction cook top's yet but I am keen to try one. perhaps just a little plug in free standing unit that sits on the bench.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Privatteer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Decent gas stoves give you a lot more control than 3 settings.
I like having gas stove since its very rare to lose gas. Thus while the power is out you can still cook/boil water.
If they are kept clean I believe they on average last a lot longer as well. While sooner or latter electric blows an element.

That said if I didn't have gas within easy reach of the kitchen I wouldn't stress about putting in an electric instead.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:20 am

Gas. Gas. Gas. If you enjoy cooking, you use gas. It's instantly hot, and it's instantly cool, and it's instantly anywhere in between - if you only have "three levels of heat" then you have a faulty system!.

I have used every cooking system available and I always go back to gas (with electric ovens!). Ceramic hobs are horrible for cooking on, but easy to clean. They seem to be slow to heat and cool (maybe thats because I'm used to gas!). Old style electric "rings" are also slow, and especially slow to cool (so you have to lift the pan off to stop it boiling over). They are normally too large to use a small pan without overheating the sides and handle, and because they largely work by conduction they cannot be used effectively with a round based pan like a wok (which also applies to the ceramic hob and induction cooker). Induction is second best to gas, in my opinion, but requires the correct pans and seems more suited to slower cooking.

If I had a choice, I'd have 4 gas rings including the biggest "wok" ring I could buy, and two induction rings. This can be achieved using Miele combi-sets, if you have the budget!

Bottled gas isn't cheap, but no energy is these days. A gas cooktop doesn't use very much so a bottle would probably last a year and possibly much longer.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:25 am

I would agree on instant off with gas but the slow cooking or should I say setting the knob for slow cooking is harder as its not indexable . Most gas cook tops have two setting that are indexable , medium and high. Then if you want a lower setting than medium you have to slowly turn the knob back . My gripe is the the adjustment scope is to to short. from medium to off. I feel like I'm winding on for the final pass of surface grinder :lol: Like i said I put up with it, I have some finesse when turning knobs but my wife is always reigniting the burner as she end up turning it off trying to get the flame where she wants. Then we have the issue again you have to hold your hand on the igniter clicking away for 10 seconds (safety thing). Its not that you cant get the low flame I just feel they could do a better job at designing flame control in the lower 1/2. rather than giving you a 2 deg of rotation between medium and off :lol: Next time I'm at my in laws restaurant I will have a play with theirs and see if its any different.

I don't think its because they are cheep I think the one in our new house retails for about $7,0000 and has the same style of adjustment as our cheap $1500 one .

Ovens though I would never purchase gas if i had a choice.

Bottled gas is fine for cooking in our city house (just gas cooktop - electric oven ) we just have two 9kg LPG bottles outside. each one lasts 3 months. One 45kg bottle will last a year for cooking .

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Living Green