Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

INDUCTION..??

Postby Tracker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:52 am

.IMHO.
1....... INDUCTION cooking... :!: ... :D
2....... Gas (town) might be cheaper TODAY, ;) but I genuinely believe that ENERGY will be sold
............as ENERGY, very soon, and you will soon pay more. ie. same cost to heat the same volume.
3....... Service charges.. :evil: These are the killers..
............I seriously suspect that if you ONLY had a gas cooktop.
...........Then you would be better off with BBQ bottles, and pay the rip off BBQ rates.. and avoid the RENTAL costs on the normal household bottles

Gas might be instant etc. etc. but when you have to dismantle the bloody cook-top every time you really use it, it has to become a pain... :?

But - Naturally, if you are Off-Grid and trying to minimise the electricity you use, then GAS will reign supreme.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Cooking, gas or electric stove ?

Postby bpratt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 am

That's an interesting one for me. I had been looking around at gas cooking, and most ovens I saw with gas cooktops were electric, not gas. I was starting to get the impression that gas ovens no longer existed.

Then again, I wasn't really looking all that hard . :)
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: INDUCTION..??

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 am

Tracker wrote:...But - Naturally, if you are Off-Grid and trying to minimise the electricity you use, then GAS will reign supreme.

I prefer to use my induction hob whenever the sun is shining, and even use it at night sometimes, its a lot faster to heat the wok than gas is, and is free to run from solar power. And, I can stick my hand on the hotplate immediately after use and not burn my hand- don't try that with gas or resistive electric cooktops!
It's also a lot faster to boil water than gas, and hugely more efficient.
energy-efficiency/topic2540.html
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: INDUCTION..??

Postby Tracker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:It's also a lot faster to boil water than gas, and hugely more efficient.

AND - I see them being sold as Bench-Top appliances for just over $100.. INCREDIBLE.

I have been previously SCARED of induction, because they are electronic and the replacement boards were an horrendously unaffordable price.. Efficiency wise, I imagine there is a medium loss in power from electronics heating, but in comparison, it would be minute..

I DO think that it's the way of the future and some Pot-Manufacturers, are making INDUCTION pots as standard..
Aldi sell them at times..

PS - one small consideration is that with GAS, you can survive in a blackout..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:11 pm

offgridQLD wrote: I have some finesse when turning knobs but my wife is always reigniting the burner as she end up turning it off trying to get the flame where she wants

Normally "off" is at the "high" end of the dial, so as you turn it :

off...max(indent).....medium....minimum(dial stops)

which means that you can't turn it off at the low end!

The only issue is that with a really low setting the burner can sometimes blow out if it's close to an open window. The safety mechanism cuts the gas, so its not dangerous, but it can be annoying if you don't notice and the food stops cooking!

Tracker wrote:Gas might be instant etc. etc. but when you have to dismantle the bloody cook-top every time you really use it, it has to become a pain... :?

Why would you do that? At worst we just lift the cast-iron pan support, and that's only after a boil-over or particularly messy fry. Otherwise it just gets the same wipe that any other cooktop gets. It does, however, remind me of a rental I lived in many years ago, where a ceramic hob had been left dirty. It had a layer of burnt grime that I couldn't remove - I didn't want to try and scrape it because I'd get blamed for wrecking the kitchen, but nothing else was going to shift it!

bpratt wrote:That's an interesting one for me. I had been looking around at gas cooking, and most ovens I saw with gas cooktops were electric, not gas. I was starting to get the impression that gas ovens no longer existed.

I like electric ovens and gas cooktops, but I believe gas ovens are still available. My grandmother also had a gas fridge, and I'm not sure you can still get them - or why you'd want to!

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:its a lot faster to heat the wok than gas is

I didn't think woks would work on an induction cooker? Is it a flat based wok that's made for use on induction, rather than the traditional style? Or do you have one of those fabulous De Dietrich concave induction "rings"?
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:40 pm

zzsstt wrote:I didn't think woks would work on an induction cooker? ...

That's one of those myths that spread on the internet ;) My little Breville induction hob is definitely flat, and my old iron wok is definitely round. I just set the hob to 100C (setting 3 out of 10, 60-220C) and the wok is hot literally within a few seconds, I put the wok on it with its wire ring stand upside down so the bottom of the wok is about 5mm above the surface, and it works brilliantly.

Of course, I'm sure there are people who'll spend $3500 for an induction cooktop with a special curved wok "burner"!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 pm

They sound great I'm going to have to try one , is there a big difference in efficiency between brand ? As there is some incredibly cheep ones online?

this one is $45 delivered :shock:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Genuine-EURO-CHEF-INDUCTION-COOKER-COOKTOP-Portable-/251042719793?pt=AU_Cooktops&hash=item3a734fe831

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:41 pm

No doubt there are variations, and I'm not entirely sure that the Euro-chef brand there is the same as Eurochef, which is associated with high quality kitchen gear, but at that price, you aren't blowing too much cash if it releases the magic smoke ;) The 1 year warranty may help though!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby zzsstt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote: I just set the hob to 100C (setting 3 out of 10, 60-220C) and the wok is hot literally within a few seconds, I put the wok on it with its wire ring stand upside down so the bottom of the wok is about 5mm above the surface, and it works brilliantly.

Interesting. When I built my current house I was told by a representative of one of the stove manufacturers that a round based pot wouldn't work very well on an induction cooktop. His view was that with gas the heat runs up the side of the wok, so it is (fairly) evenly heated over a large area, whereas induction will heat the base but not the sides. I thought that would be a reasonable assesment since I believe the RF radiation used in such devices has an exponential power reduction with distance?

Is the base of the the wok significantly hotter than the sides? I'll have to find someone with an induction hob and try a wok on it!!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:44 pm

zzsstt wrote:Interesting. When I built my current house I was told by a representative of one of the stove manufacturers that a round based pot wouldn't work very well on an induction cooktop.!

I suspect that there would be a small efficiency issue.. It is magnetic after all, and most WOKs are steel..
You could speculate that the true base will be the hottest and then as the distance increases around the arc of the wok, the magnetic field and hence the temperature, would vary..
Clearly, it's NOT a big issue for GG..

I am curious how it work with a quality SS wok..

I have been asked to "Repair" faulty Induction devices, and the owners have been very miffed when I just stick a steel pan on and it works..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Living Green