Washing machine on solar

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Washing machine on solar

Postby aussieranger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi all, awhile ago I purchased a new Electrolux washing machine and have found that it doesn't seem to like running on solar. I thought it had a fault as the cycle never seems to run through properly and won't end without intervention. I had it checked out and there seems there may be a problem with the machine running through an inverter. Has anyone had this experience or can offer any suggestions as to how I can get it to work properly? It has been suggested that this is an electronics/inverter clash that it causing the problem.... :?:
aussieranger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Washing machine on solar

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:41 pm

What brand inverter, what continuous and surge rating does it have? Is it pure sine wave or modified?
What is the washing machine's power draw?
I run a Bosch washing machine and it works perfectly well on 230V from a Latronics inverter, including the ~2.4kW water heating stage when required.

What happens when it doesn't finish the cycle, does the inverter drop out, or is it something in the washing machine?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby aussieranger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:What brand inverter, what continuous and surge rating does it have? Is it pure sine wave or modified?
What is the washing machine's power draw?
I run a Bosch washing machine and it works perfectly well on 230V from a Latronics inverter, including the ~2.4kW water heating stage when required.

What happens when it doesn't finish the cycle, does the inverter drop out, or is it something in the washing machine?

Hi Gordon, unfortunately I can't answer all your questions because the machine and the inverter are some 1500km away at the moment! I won't be back there until the middle of October. I'll have to find out and put up the info for comment. It is a raps system and I'm unsure whether or not it is a pure sine or modified wave. I've only owned the place for a short while and don't live there at present...currently its a holiday house.

The washer never seems to wash properly and when it nears the end of the cycle it sits on 1 minute to go and looks like its struggling to do the spin cycle...the machine has to be stopped to open the front loader and the clothes are still wringing wet.

thanks
aussieranger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm

aussieranger wrote: It has been suggested that this is an electronics/inverter clash that it causing the problem.... :?:

BullDust !.... That's gota be a cop out, provided that the inverter is a Pure-Sine inverter.
What is the actual model number of the Electrolux.

I have one that I just CAN'T repair, and I know that there have been instances where customers have complained to Electrolux and had their machines "Replaced" for a nominal figure, which is an acknowledgement that they had a problem..

"The washer never seems to wash properly and when it nears the end of the cycle it sits on 1 minute to go"
This was the main issue with mine .. an EWF1090..
To me, it just HAD to be the controller.. A new one failed to make any difference..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby aussieranger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Tracker wrote:
aussieranger wrote: It has been suggested that this is an electronics/inverter clash that it causing the problem.... :?:

BullDust !.... That's gota be a cop out, provided that the inverter is a Pure-Sine inverter.
What is the actual model number of the Electrolux.

I have one that I just CAN'T repair, and I know that there have been instances where customers have complained to Electrolux and had their machines "Replaced" for a nominal figure, which is an acknowledgement that they had a problem..

"The washer never seems to wash properly and when it nears the end of the cycle it sits on 1 minute to go"
This was the main issue with mine .. an EWF1090..
To me, it just HAD to be the controller.. A new one failed to make any difference..

Thanks for your reply tracker...unfortunately there are too many unanswered questions until I get back to the house to check on the type of inverter and the model and power draw of the machine. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was the electronics as I have had various issues in the past living in remote ranger stations on generated power...none of the electronics liked them for very long.. :)
aussieranger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:43 am

aussieranger wrote:I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was the electronics as I have had various issues in the past living in remote ranger stations on generated power...none of the electronics liked them for very long..

We obviously don't know what's involved with the setup, but I would have thought that a proper setup using purpose-designed products , would be fine.
The issue would arise , when some obscure (EBAY) inverter is connected to a Solar/Battery setup.
The issue could be (with general electronics) , that dramatic harmonics from a "Modified 50Hz Inverter" could get into the digital circuits of the computer controller, and mess around with the digital signals.

I would think that were I in that position, I would purposely shop for appliances that were NON-ELECTRONIC..
Ie.. Had mechanical controllers, like the older washers that had the clickity-click rotary timers, and Fridges with simple thermostats. ie devices that when in standby, are essentially disconnected from the power.
AVOID anything critical that has electronics.. eg. YUCK - a FisherPaykel refrigerator that beeps when the door is open etc.

PS - Just think of how the lights vary in brightness as machines turn on and off and the generator compensates..
That is why appliances with electronic controllers are bad news.. The electronics cops all the variations, and generally, they are not designed to do that.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby aussieranger » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Tracker wrote:
aussieranger wrote:I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was the electronics as I have had various issues in the past living in remote ranger stations on generated power...none of the electronics liked them for very long..

We obviously don't know what's involved with the setup, but I would have thought that a proper setup using purpose-designed products , would be fine.
The issue would arise , when some obscure (EBAY) inverter is connected to a Solar/Battery setup.
The issue could be (with general electronics) , that dramatic harmonics from a "Modified 50Hz Inverter" could get into the digital circuits of the computer controller, and mess around with the digital signals.

I would think that were I in that position, I would purposely shop for appliances that were NON-ELECTRONIC..
Ie.. Had mechanical controllers, like the older washers that had the clickity-click rotary timers, and Fridges with simple thermostats. ie devices that when in standby, are essentially disconnected from the power.
AVOID anything critical that has electronics.. eg. YUCK - a FisherPaykel refrigerator that beeps when the door is open etc.

PS - Just think of how the lights vary in brightness as machines turn on and off and the generator compensates..
That is why appliances with electronic controllers are bad news.. The electronics cops all the variations, and generally, they are not designed to do that.

Hi, thanks for your response. I reckon you could be on the money. What I've found in the past with our generators on our remote parks here in the Territory is that electronics suffer the most with this so called "dirty" power. Clocks, alarm clocks on microwaves always speed up and can't be relied on to keep the time. We have always tried to choose the mechanical choices like washing machines with rotary dials, etc but even they are becoming scarce these days.

To be honest this is my first solar powered house and I really didn't think about it. I just assumed because the 24v produced runs through an inverter to provide 240v it would be fine. I guess when I get down there next I'll have to check the things that previous responses have suggested that I should find out...the prime one I'm thinking is whether or not a true sign wave is produced (or not).

cheers
aussieranger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby lad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Hello aussieranger,

just to reinforce some things, I am off grid and have not specially replaced products for that purpose. As things have been replaced, I went for low power, low water consumption.

Like Gordon, I have a Latronics inverter and my diesel generator is pure sine wave. All my electronics loaded gear works just fine.

Without knowing the "cleanliness" of your power, I would be thinking the Washer may be the problem, especially seeing as within the population of this forum there is another experiencing a similar issue with the same brand washer.
30 130 W Kyocera panels
Latronics LS7048 inverter
Outback mx 80 reg
12 Exide 4RP1800 batt
Apricius tube 315l H/W & gas boost
Kubota GL-9000 8.5KW diesel gen. 55amp batt. charger
Belvedere 5000 Hydronic heat, heat exch h/water boost

Grid DISCONNECTED
lad
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby aussieranger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:56 pm

lad wrote:Hello aussieranger,

just to reinforce some things, I am off grid and have not specially replaced products for that purpose. As things have been replaced, I went for low power, low water consumption.

Like Gordon, I have a Latronics inverter and my diesel generator is pure sine wave. All my electronics loaded gear works just fine.

Without knowing the "cleanliness" of your power, I would be thinking the Washer may be the problem, especially seeing as within the population of this forum there is another experiencing a similar issue with the same brand washer.

Yeah hi, interesting to know. I had the washer checked out and they said it worked fine for them on town power. They quickly added that Electrolux do not cover warranty on items running on solar power.

Anyway it's a bit academic until I get back to my property and check out the various specs on the system and the washer.
Cheers
aussieranger
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bush_Magpie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi,

Some electronic machines do not like modifed sine wave or square wave inverters. If it is the inverter output then the only way to clean it is to put a schaffner filter on the inverter output.
This is a power filter which will reduce harmonics and smooth the inverter output, basically give you a clean supply from dirty power.
These are available from any electronics store ie Radio Spares, farnell, all stores are on line.
Another question i have is does it always stop at one minute to go?
What is the washing machine power requirement as the inverter should be able to deliver twice the current the washing machine is rated at due to spin motor starting up.

See how you go with this. You will need the current rating of the inverter for the filter size.
3.4kW Solar system in WA
Power One Aurora Inverter
Solar HWS System
Metters Windmill (water pump)
Mick
Bush_Magpie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Living Green