Energy monitors?

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: Energy monitors?

Postby ghind » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 am

Hi All

I'm looking at a Watts clever energy meter from Jaycar.

In my house (in Tasmania) there are 3 seperate metres each fed by a seperate phase.

General light and power
Hydroheat (heat pump air heating and heat pump hot water)
Off peak (I use old style electric floor heating in one small but very heavily used room)

I know watts clever can monitor 3 phases if you buy the extra sensors. I don't really care about accurate $ costing (each phase has different pricing) but I do want to be able to look at the seperate instant consumption of each phase and have a seperate total consumption of each phase.

i.e. I want to see how many KWH my hydro heat is using and not have it bundled in with my general light and power.

Anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks

Greg
ghind
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby zzsstt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 am

I suspect that you will find that the Watts Clever will sum all three clamps to give a single usage figure. Certainly that is what the Wattson would do.

However, you could simply put a single clamp on one meter for a week, then move it to the next and so on. That would not give you the ability to look at a particular phase at any time (in real time), nor to compare two phases at a point in time, but may give you enough info if you just want to monitor usage over a daily or weekly cycle? If the weather and usage are much the same, week to week probably won't vary very much - I have found that most of the time, and ignoring anomalies like school holidays or sudden changes in temperature, our usage patterns remain fairly constant (similar styles of meals at similar times, similar patterns of usage for the washing machine, TV etc.).

If the Watts Clever has a solar generation clamp you could use that to monitor a second meter, it has no idea which direction the power is flowing or what it is being used for, so will just give you numbers!
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 pm

the current cost envi will show you the consumption on each of the three plus a total
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby rod055 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi All, I got my monitor from here http://www.energy-monitor.com.au/ and downloaded the software from here http://www.techtoniq.com/downloads/ With this software you can chart the usage of each phase. Hope that helps
rod055
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby cw nsw » Sat May 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Rod

are you the same Rod who posted as the owner of the online business, energy-monitor etc, etc on the ATA Forum 3 hours ago?

I note that the post there has since been edited to remove the clickable link to the business.
cw nsw
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat May 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Fess up Rod, is what cw writes the truth?

We take a pretty dim view of that sort of behaviour around here...
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby rod055 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi All, my appologies. I have not tried to hide that I run "that online store" I said exactly that in my last post. Of course i got my monitor from my own store, i should have mentioned that like it did in my other post. The reference to the store was because is I sell exactly the same monitor that the original post was about and have screenshot of the software I recommended. Ok is someone followed the link I was not going to be up set but clearly this is outside the rules.
The software i recommended is not mine and I still recommend it if you are Planning to buy the Jaycar monitor.
If you believe my comments were of no value please remove them.
If my login gets cancelled then I will move on, otherwise I would still like to contribute.
rod055
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun May 15, 2011 1:57 pm

rod055 wrote:Hi All, my appologies. I have not tried to hide that I run "that online store" I said exactly that in my last post.

Actually, it was cw nsw who pointed that out, there was no mention of it in your original post.

I'll leave your post there, now you have come clean about it, we sometimes have people pretending to be customers, when in fact they have a financial or other interest. It is a dishonest way to promote a website.

How about posting some actual data and descriptions/information showing its benefits?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby bazzle » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:23 am

living-green/topic3040.html

Flukso working well for me so far.
Just trying to work out how to keep data locally as well.

Bazzle
bazzle
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Previous

Return to Living Green