CFL light bulbs are killing us ???

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

CFL light bulbs are killing us ???

Postby Tracker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 am

Well, could it be true..? .. . :(

CFL's use a high frequency electronic circuit to generate the voltages to drive the Fluorescent tube. They then impart this high frequency signal onto your power circuit, and this runs around your house as an efficient antenna, radiating that RF signal into the rooms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvjA8Db5ZY&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upmLJM2VTlM&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CVLa_tRslY&feature=related

Dirty Electricity Explained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbebpRvwd8k&feature=related

Does anyone here have any experience with the claims being made in these video clips.
I have no doubt that CFL's do cause this "Dirty Electricity" and have experienced some bulbs causing wild interference.
We already know that CFL's contain a small amount of Mercury, and that whilst our Governments are DEMANDING that we use these bulbs, they are not actively providing for their safe DISPOSAL.

I must admit that I am starting to look more closely at my CFL's..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: CFL light bulbs are killing us ???

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:33 am

Tracker wrote:I must admit that I am starting to look more closely at my CFL's..

Make sure you wear your tin foil hat to stop the EM waves when you get that close look! :lol:
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:36 am

Do I assume that you are a skeptic..?

I tend to be that way, but do wonder when you hear medical authorities talking about it.
From the Electrical End, we understand that such power levels and frequencies could not have any impact on cellular functions. BUT - who are we to say ?
If medical Authorities are reporting a correlation between EMI and illness, then who are we to argue.
My intention is to replace "Background" lighting with LED lighting.. ie hall lights, security lights etc. such that I can both save power and kill any possibility of HF radiation (when intense lighting is not needed). Such radiation does exist and we now have supposed experts claiming it to be a problem.

As an analogy - Science declared that radiation from Cell-Phones "cannot possibly harm you at those levels" and yet expert Neurologists are finding a high correlation between serious brain tumors and Phone usage..
ie. the cancer is ALWAYS adjacent to the normal 'Phone Ear'.. So do you believe those who have NO evidence, or those who deal with the consequences..?

PS - I don't believe in that Foil-Hat stuff -- I have a WW2 steel battle hat.
Being steel it protects against Magnetic fields also .. ;)
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Yes, skeptical about nonsense ;) Thats not to say that EM radiation isnt a problem in some circumstances, but the dose from the mains due to CFLs must be tiny, unless you are sitting on the lamp :shock: Mobile phones are much more likely to be a problem, with a transmitter pressed against your head.

Not really a very unscientific Utoob vid, what exactly was that meter showing?
If you are concerned about "dirty electricity" in your mains, I'd recommend staying away from anything with an oscillator in it, ie radios, TVs, microwaves etc, and definitely stay away from electric motors.
Then there are inverters, all that DC>AC conversion happening in there, how "dirty" is that?!

The only solution is to get some batteries, throw away the inverter, TV, radio, microwave, heat pump etc, and just run DC lighting and nothing that produces EM interference. Oh, and stay a long, long way away from TV and radio transmitters that might be sending out 1MW of radiated power! I would suggest that CFLs pale into insignificance when you think of all the other sources of EM radiation around.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Thanks for the opinion.. Gordon..

We see so much of this sensationalistic stuff and some seems to emanate from seeming Authorities.
It simply boils down to "How do we know?".

In the modern home, power cables usually run only feet from the head of the bed, so IF there was an issue, then you cop it whilst sleeping..

Anyway - I don't believe , but am still happy to seek any proof..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

It's rather coincidental that on Today-Tonight (Ch7) they just did a bit on Power-Factor correction, and claimed that:

PF-Correction removed Dirty Electricity,
Reduced bills by 1/3, and
Reduced the significant risk of cancer caused by "Dirty Electricity".

As usual, they had a couple of University Types, prepared to support the technology..

:?
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 pm

A lot of people seem to have a lot of different concerns regarding CFL's.

1. Mercury - widely discussed elsewhere so I won't go into it here.

2. UV radiation. All fluorescent lights do emit some UV, however the very thin phosphor coating on some designs of CFL would, in theory at least, be allowing greater amounts of UV to pass through.

3. Electrical interference.

4. Fire. This is my personal concern since the distance between Active and Neutral on the circuit boards of some of these CFL's is very small and quite likely to short out due to dust and especially moisture. For example, a CFL installed in a bathroom would seem to be particularly at risk. There are plenty of overseas reports, particularly from the US, of house fires caused by faulty CFL's.

LED traffic lights are now fairly common (though widespread problems with the early designs has lead many road authorities to adopt a more cautious approach to replacing remaining incandescent signals with LED). Likewise LED's as indicator lights and now headlights on vehicles are increasingly common. And there are low powered ones available for the household lighting market already (and I've noticed high powered ones in use in jeweller's display cases and even a Woolworths store).

So it's only a matter of time before CFL's become obsolete as LED's take over. Given that consumers in general don't seem to like CFL's, whereas there seems more enthusiasm for LED's, I expect we'll see the end of CFL's before we see a complete end to incandescent / halogen lamps.

All that said, I do use CFL's where appropriate. But not in silly applications such as the toilet, sensor lights, bedroom and so on where lights are normally switched on only briefly.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Smurf1976 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:09 pm

A lot of people seem to have a lot of different concerns regarding CFL's.

1. Mercury - widely discussed elsewhere so I won't go into it here.

2. UV radiation. All fluorescent lights do emit some UV, however the very thin phosphor coating on some designs of CFL would, in theory at least, be allowing greater amounts of UV to pass through.

3. Electrical interference.

4. Fire. This is my personal concern since the distance between Active and Neutral on the circuit boards of some of these CFL's is very small and quite likely to short out due to dust and especially moisture. For example, a CFL installed in a bathroom would seem to be particularly at risk. There are plenty of overseas reports, particularly from the US, of house fires caused by faulty CFL's.

LED traffic lights are now fairly common (though widespread problems with the early designs has lead many road authorities to adopt a more cautious approach to replacing remaining incandescent signals with LED). Likewise LED's as indicator lights and now headlights on vehicles are increasingly common. And there are low powered ones available for the household lighting market already (and I've noticed high powered ones in use (not for sale) in jeweller's display cases and even a Woolworths store).

So it's only a matter of time before CFL's become obsolete as LED's take over. Given that consumers in general don't seem to like CFL's, whereas there seems more enthusiasm for LED's, I expect we'll see the end of CFL's before we see a complete end to incandescent / halogen lamps.

All that said, I do use CFL's where appropriate. But not in silly applications such as the toilet, sensor lights, bedroom and so on where lights are normally switched on only briefly.
Smurf1976
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby disenchant@solar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Solar flare fried my brain. :oops: ,
disenchant@solar
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Return to Living Green