DIY solar pre-heater

General tips, questions and answers about going green in your home and business. Achieve a more environmentally friendly lifestyle!

Re: DIY solar pre-heater

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:
120ThingsIn20Years wrote:Points taken.

I'm going with poly

20m of 13mm thin walled poly is $3.97 at the big B, if you are trying to do it on the cheap, it doesnt get much cheaper than that! :)

Hey! I got ripped off 2 cents :)
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Billc wrote:Re: using black poly in a solar collector. Tried using cheap 10 mm black poly last summer in a home solar collector & the heat caused the plastic to taint the water (both taste & smell). May work OK if you can get a better quality poly.

I'm making a version that will be a closed loop where only heat is transfered and the heating fluid (whatever it turns out to be (I'm currently thinking used cooking oil (it wont freeze, isn't toxic, and wont evaporate))), would cycle endlessly.

and yes I get confused by the way I write as well.
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:00 pm

wt29 wrote:I've used Corflute (Correx etc) to build model aircraft - cheap fun.

Gluing it is an artform. I use Bear Brand Gel (not liquid) Contact cement after clean of the production oils (from the extrusion process) and it seems to stick well. Don't know what will happen once the temperature rises. UV could be an issue too.

These guys - http://www.spadtothebone.com- have worked out dozens of ways to glue and work Corflute. You might get some ideas here.

Cheers

cool, thanks
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:03 pm

friendlyfisho wrote:I have used translucent corflute to double insulate my clerestory windows in Tasmania with fantastic results.
A tightly fitting sheet of corflute with the open ends taped over is placed just inside the window architrave and held in place with a few brads for the winter, makes a huge difference in heat retention overnight. What you end up with is a sheet of glass (original window) a 50mm or so air gap, a sheet of acrylic,a 5mm or so air gap and another sheet of acrylic - effectively triple glazing !

now I have to double insulate my home. I'm not coping with the 3 out of 120 things i'm doing now! :)
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 pm

BigB wrote:Dear120thingsin20years, dont let the nay sayers put you off. Coreflute comes in various grades , materials and colours. Talk to the boys at Corex in Dandenong they have some magnificent strong, robust, and UV stabalised grades for you to use.

Ask them about their co-extruded 5mm thick 1500 GSM coreflute that comes in black which would be magnificent for solar collection. You could make top and bottom end tanks out of PVC tubes and mill a slot in it slightly smaller than 5mm, wedge in your coreflute and plastic weld it with a filler rod of similar plastic. Try some off cuts of the PVC pipe cut into strips and melted onto the join with a soldering iron.

Have a go and let us know the results. Jeff Court is your man at Corex. Jeff Court [Jeff@corex.net.au]

Big B

not sure that gordon and others really count as nay sayers but thanks for the ideas. Ill try them all. I still really love the idea of the corflute but I also need some success every now and again to keep me sane. Im having fish issues and It could be because of cold water fungi, so Im really keen to make some heat to try to up the aquaponics fish tank temp a bit.

soldering iron. mmmm ...I understand there is a $30 pcv welder on the market somewhere...

:)
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Z6CHAS wrote:This sounds like a good idea.
A few tips.
1. Nothing glues poly tubing and it is too flexible. You can only join it with barb fittings or highly skilled
heat application.
So for the top and bottom tubes use strong, rigid PVC or metal (copper or stainless steel).

2. Use "ViSe" Supergrip Polyurethane Glue or any Polyurethane glue available from Bunnings to glue and
seal the joints.

3. Paint the coreflute surface with flat black paint (chalk board) to protect it from UV and increase light
absorption.
I repainted a corroded, leaky solar hot water panel about 10 years ago and it is still going OK.

>highly skilled heat application.

oh well that idea lasted nearly a few minutes :)

rigid
ViSe (Polyurethane)

cool, thanks

That would probably solve it until not so long ago I thought glues just stuck everything. Also one of the biggest issues was the twist in the poly when you cut it ie it holds its coil shape. pvc would do it I think. and cut with this so its a nice straight cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeQ5fiJiPyU
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:27 pm

We have been thinking about setting up Aquaponics at home too :) You definitely dont want to be adding plastic solvents to the water the fish are in. PVC used to have lead in it, not sure if it still does, but you dont want to be adding that, or PVC solvents, to your tank water either, so a (metal) heat exchanger is definitely a sensible idea.

We are thinking about an in ground tank for some temperature regulation, and if we need to add some heat, I'll probably set up a small evacuated tube solar heater I think.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby shayn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:55 am

you can buy a clear UV stabilized polycarbonate glazing product that is structurally quite strong - and similar structure to coreflute

http://www.laserlite.com.au/residential ... tiwall.asp

Regards
Shayn
shayn
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby 120ThingsIn20Years » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:54 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:We have been thinking about setting up Aquaponics at home too :) You definitely dont want to be adding plastic solvents to the water the fish are in. PVC used to have lead in it, not sure if it still does, but you dont want to be adding that, or PVC solvents, to your tank water either, so a (metal) heat exchanger is definitely a sensible idea.

We are thinking about an in ground tank for some temperature regulation, and if we need to add some heat, I'll probably set up a small evacuated tube solar heater I think.

my heater is a closed loop and wont be making contact with the water any fish or humans will be in contact with. I'm planning heat exchange from sun to heat storage tank, then heat exchange to fish tank/house water/lounge room tastefully cane-blind-covered 44 gallon drum/ bathroom towel drying rack/sterling engine blah blah fantasy blah blah etc

PVC seems ok from what I understand. And by understand I really mean "a stack of people who know more than me told me"

I'm also told by fish breeders and absurdly competent people involved in aquaponics that zinc and copper are no-nos in the closed loop of aquaponics (pure iron is ok and even useful) . Things tend to accumulate, and fish tend to die a lot. But that can be a good thing because you get a real feeling for "toxic crap in toxic crap out". In fact the only time anything other than gases leaves the system is when you eat something or some of your livestock dies. It's a very in your face kind of thing to do this aquaponics caper. I get the feeling that there really isnt anthing that doesnt leach toxic crap. even an earth lined dam can be leaching or supplying too much of something or another. I try to look at it relatively- yes my aquaponics water turns over ever over never a rest and that uses mains power and is contained in a barrel that is a natural shade of insane blue, but I suspect the first salad I ate from my garden was the first pesticide free salad in 43 years. And it looked good as far as food metres go as well :), just need to settle my karmic debt with a windmill or two, and everything else... must get to everything else.

Hmmm "food metres©"

I used one of those ubiquitous blue barrels that are used to move cola syrup around the globe as my test system, and even cutting a blue barrel in half makes you realize the blue plastic sawdust you didnt think about when you were cutting it is basically going to be in your back yard forever :( there isnt really much of it but is sure is blue... and it sure is forever. I hate the way it reminds me of the images of the plastic coagulations we see in our oceans, and the fun day when I was 5yo when a zillion outline offcuts of [we call then thongs but I think the rest of the world calls them flip flops] washed up on Ella(sp?) beach in Papua New Guinea. WTF would anyone be transporting the negative of footwear for? Packing material for something that sunk is my guess. Or someone didn't know what else to do with them.

oops ranting

I'm BullwinkleII if you go through with the aquaponics and ever find yourself on http://backyardaquaponics.com
A most helpful community. I might even know something by then and be useful :)
120ThingsIn20Years
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby andarm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:27 am

DSC00972.JPG
Attachments
DSC00976.JPG
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext